Who can resist a skillet Queso Fundido con Chorizo. Melted cheese seasoned with tequila, sauteed onions, fresh tomatoes and cilantro. Sprinkle on some crumbles of browned Mexican chorizo and pass those chips please. Ready in 20 minutes, this is the perfect Mexican appetizer recipe.
About This Recipe
WOW-ing your crowd is simple with this easy to make and easy to love cheese appetizer recipe. Who doesn’t love ooey-gooey cheese that can be scooped up with your favorite chip and devoured.
Until now, my experience with any type of melted cheese dip was the queso in a crockpot, that famous Rotel Cheese Dip. Velveeta Cheese with ground beef and Rotel tomatoes. In a crockpot. Man, that stuff is good.
This recipe for Queso Fundido con Chorizo is somewhat of a high brow version of that cheese dip with Rotel, Instead of using Velveeta, we’re using Monterey Jack Cheese, fresh tomatoes and more. Let’s take a look.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Simple in ingredients, this is what makes this recipe so darn good.
- Fresh tomatoes
- Sweet Onion
- Jalapeno Pepper
- Monterey Jack Cheese
- Browned Chorizo Sausage
- Tortilla chips
Step by Step Instructions
I mean really, do you know anyone who can resist dipping a corn chip into melted cheese seasoned with South of the Border ingredients? And it’s so easy to make. Once the chopping is done, you’re just a few minutes away cheesy appetizer heaven.
- Saute the vegetables: Fresh Summer tomatoes, or chopped cherry tomatoes work best here. In a pinch you could use canned tomatoes, but make sure they’re well drained. Heat olive oil in a large skillet and add the tomatoes, jalapeno and onion. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and cook until softened.
- Add the Tequila: Pour in the tequila and stir frequently until the skillet looks dry.
- Time for the cheese: Turn burner down to low and add the shredded cheese. Stir constantly until the cheese is fully melted.
- Garnish and serve: Sprinkle the queso fundido with chopped cilantro and crumbled browned chorizo (if using). If you’ve made this in a cast iron skillet, just serve from the skillet. Or transfer to a serving bowl and start
- passing the chips.
Queso Dip FAQ’s
Choose the right cheese. Not all cheeses are suitable for melting. For this recipe, choose a cheese with a semi-soft texture like Monterey Jack Cheese or Muenster Cheese. They melt quickly and without much fuss.
A 10-inch cast iron skillet is perfect for cooking the queso. And it’s a perfect serving container for this rustic Mexican appetizer.
Queso Fundido con Chorizo is at it’s best made on the stove-top and served immediately. But if you want a make-ahead queso, prepare it using the stovetop instructions and then use a crock pot to keep the queso warm.
Queso can be reheated for personal leftovers, but to serve a perfect queso for party guests, serve it immediately while it’s creamy and perfect in texture. Reheating queso in the microwave works very well. Microwave time depends of the amount you’re reheating, and it works well to reheat queso at 50% power.
How To Eat Queso Fundido
What should I serve with Queso? Keep it simple, keep it authentic. Corn chips and warm flour tortillas = yum.
This simple, twenty minute dip of melted cheese flavored with tomatoes, chiles, onion and a hit of tequila is just the thing to satisfy a sudden craving for something warm, salty and gooey. Inspired by Rick Bayless, I hope you give this queso fundido con chorizo a try.
And if you do, please come back and give the recipe a star rating and leave a message about your experience with the recipe. And if you have a favorite easy cheesy Mexican appetizer recipe, let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
And if you love Mexican food as much as we do, don’t miss my Mexican Southwest Category. You’ll find lots of fun recipes for your next fiesta, including the most popular on my site for Hatch Green Chili with Pork.
Queso Fundido con Chorizo
- 1/4 cup cilantro coarsley chopped
- 1/2 pound Monterey Jack cheese 3 cups, shredded
- 1 small sweet onion cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 3 tablespoons tequila
- 2 medium fresh tomatoes cored, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice. Or 1 1/2 cups chopped cherry tomatoes
- 2 jalapeños seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Warm corn tortillas or corn chips for serving
- 1/2 pound Mexican Chorizo browned
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the diced tomatoes, minced jalapeños, diced onion and a large pinch of salt and cook over moderately high heat, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the tequila and cook, stirring frequently, until the skillet looks nearly dry, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low. Add the cheese and cook, stirring constantly, until fully melted, about 30 seconds.
- Quickly transfer the queso fundido to a serving bowl. Sprinkle with the cilantro and serve immediately, with tortillas or chips. Top with crumbled chorizo.
Queso Fundido with Chorizo … It’s Whats for a Mexican Appetizer
More Easy Mexican Appetizer Recipes
- Mexican Street Corn Dip, Sweet roasted caramelized corn kernels are the foundation for this incredibly flavored treat.
- Mexican Deviled Eggs with Chorizo, Mexican Chorizo sausage, Dijon and Sherry Vinegar turns a deviled egg into an exciting version of this classic popular appetizer.
- Black Bean Corn Salsa with Chipotle, A perfect appetizer for that next bowl of corn chips, or a great condiment to serve over flank steak or grilled chicken.
- Mexican Meatballs, Easy Mexican meatballs drizzled in creamy spicy smooth cheese sauce. Perfect for your next party. Make a double batch because these won’t last long.
- Queso Blanco Dip: Rich, creamy and velvety easy queso blanco dip is simply the most perfect dip to serve with that big bowl of tortilla chips. Ready in under 10 minutes