Baked Lemon Chicken Thighs, roasted until crispy and infused with glorious lemon flavor. Oven baked, this is an incredibly easy and over the top delicious weeknight meal.
When this Donna Hay Baked Lemon Chicken Thighs recipe caught my eye I felt like I had landed on a gold mine. This recipe is so easy and so delicious, that its become a regular on our weeknight meal rotation. t’s really quite incredible.
Does it get any easier than this? Chicken thighs are placed on three slices of lemon and baked until crispy.
The lemon flavor that infuses into this chicken is astounding and actually a little unbelievable. Somewhat like magic. And served with a green bean side dish or some roasted potatoes and you’ve got yourself a beautiful meal.
Baked Lemon Chicken Thighs are one of our favorite recipes. Why? Its just so darn easy and so darn delicious.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- 8 Small Chicken Thighs. I like to purchase high quality small production chicken thighs. They will cost a little more than the large chicken thighs that come from the large factory chicken farms. For so many humane reasons, and for better flavor and texture, this is simply a better choice.
- 2 large lemons: Sliced.
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil: Adding a drizzle of oil will simply help the meal stay moist and cook to a crispier state. Vegetable oil or canola oil will also work well here.
First of all, chicken breasts are much larger than chicken thighs. You’d have to increase the amount of lemons for those breasts to rest on. And the cooking time would need to increase dramatically. The fat content of a chicken breast is much lower, meaning that the amount of fat that drizzles down on the lemon slices during the cooking time, is significantly lower. And that’s where the flavor comes from. The sizzling juices from the chicken thighs ignite and infuse the lemon flavor into the meat. I’d stick with chicken thighs for best results.
Using bone in, skin on thighs are the best option for baked lemon chicken thighs. The skin produces fat which keeps the chicken thighs from drying out. The fat also drips onto the lemon slices which in turn allows the lemon to infuse it’s flavor into the meat. Save those boneless skinless thighs for brothy recipes like this Chickpea Soup Recipe or Grilled Chicken Thigh Tacos.
Pro Tip: For best results, pat those chicken thighs dry before oven roasting. Removing as much excess moisture as you can will keep the skin from becoming soggy. The less steam involved in the cooking process, the crispier the chicken thigh.
Easy Sides To Serve Baked Lemon Chicken Thighs
Since this recipe is such an easy weeknight dinner option, keep the sides simple. You’ve got a 30 minute bake time window to prepare your side dish or dishes.
- I’d highly recommend this recipe for Microwave Cauliflower.
- Or plan ahead and use your crock pot for these Slow Cooker Garlic Butter Baked Potatoes.
- And if you’re looking for a clever side dish salad, take a look at this Citrus Salad, which takes advantage of Winter fruit.
- Store any left overs in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Reheat leftovers in a 300 degree oven for about 15 minutes, or in an air-fryer for a few minutes. Avoid reheating in the microwave, that crispy skin will become a little soggy.
Baked Lemon Chicken Thighs Recipe
I hope you give this super easy chicken thighs recipe a try. This recipe couldn’t be easier to prepare. There’s no frying, no browning, no marinating. Simply and straight forward, it’s a weeknight miracle meal.
More Lemon Chicken Recipes
If you love the lemon chicken combination take a look at these recipes.
- Lemon Chicken with Mushrooms
- Ginger Lemon Chicken Soup
- Chicken Dinner with Lemon Cream Sauce
- Braised Chicken with Lemon Potatoes and Olives
And, don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter for more delicious recipes and cooking tips. Make it a delicious day … every day.
If you’ve tried this or any other recipe on my website, please leave a star rating in the recipe card below. And write a review in the comment section. I always appreciate your feedback.
Baked Lemon Chicken Thighs
- 8 chicken thighs bone in, skin on
- 2 lemons washed and thin sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Wash and thin slice the lemons.
- On a sheet pan, place lemons, three at a time, overlapping each other.
- Place a single chicken thigh on each of group of lemon slices
- Salt and pepper chicken thighs and drizzle each chicken thigh/lemon slice pile generously with olive oil. Roast at 425 degrees for 30 minutes or until juices run clear and skin is crispy.
- For best results, pat those chicken thighs dry before oven roasting. Removing as much excess moisture as you can will keep the skin from becoming soggy. The less steam involved in the cooking process, the crispier the chicken thigh. A paper towel works well here.
- Line the sheet with parchment paper for easy clean up.
- Using kitchen shears, trim any excess skin/fat from the chicken thighs. You’re baking these thighs at a high temperature and trimming will temper any flare ups in the oven.
Baked Lemon Chicken Thighs …It’s What’s for Dinner.
Why Trust These Recipes? Lea Ann Brown has lived, worked and played in Colorado for 45 years. She has immersed herself in the Colorado Culinary space, is a Culinary School Graduate and publishes her Colorado food Blog, Cooking On The Ranch.