This is a recipe for microwave cauliflower. A whole baked cauliflower with a topping of mayo, mustard and cheese. Quick, easy and tangy in flavor, in a creamy cheesy sort of way. Heads up cauliflower haters, you might want to try this one.
Way back in the dark ages, when microwave ovens were first available for purchase for our home kitchens, I got one for Christmas. From my parents. It was a Radar Range and I wish I had a photo of it. Compared to our sleek modern versions, it’s probably somewhat laughable. The appliance came with a cookbook illustrating how you could magically prepare anything from pot roast to desserts…in a flash.
This new appliance seemed so daunting, I was compelled to take a class offered at our local Sears store. A demonstration type class, that lasted a couple of hours, this is where I learned of this microwave cauliflower recipe and I’ve been making it ever since, and regularly for over 40 years.
I’ve always claimed that even cauliflower haters would cozy up to this recipe. And being married to one, I can attest that even the Ranch Hand likes this one.
If you’re looking for easy cauliflower recipes, you must give this one a try. It’s so easy, creamy and cheesy.
How Easy Is This Microwave Cauliflower with Cheese?
- One whole cauliflower, leaves and core removed.
- The cauliflower is cooked in the microwave for ten minutes.
- A sauce of mayo, mustard and onion are smeared over the top of the steamy cauliflower.
- It’s then topped with three slices of American cheese and returned to the microwave to melt into a beautiful sauce that compliments the sweet flavor of the cauliflower.
- I like to sprinkle it with something red. I used chile powder. Paprika would also work well here.
By the way, did you read that the Millennials are throwing American Cheese out of their diets? If you are one of the misguided, you can most certainly substitute grated cheddar cheese. But it doesn’t melt as beautifully.
Note: I tried cooking this in my Instant Pot and it took longer than in the Microwave. Due to pre-heating, coming to pressure, and releasing pressure, the microwave had it beat by about eight minutes. Score one for the microwave.
Recipe For Microwave Cauliflower, Tangy Mustard Cauliflower:
I hope you give this microwave cauliflower recipe a try. And if you do, please come back and let me know how you liked it and give the recipe a star rating.
Your feedback is valuable to me for developing future recipes. And if you have a favorite cauliflower recipe, please let me know, I’d welcome the opportunity to give it a try.
If you’re looking for something a little more hoity-toity, take a look at this Creamy Swiss Cheese Cauliflower. It’s from the Silver Palate Cookbook and I’ve made this many times for dinner parties. Rich and wow.
More Vegetable Side Dish Recipes
- Old Fashioned Sweet and Tangy Green Beans Southern style with bacon and a sweet and sour dressing. A side dish that will compliment any meat entree.
- Hearty Pea Salad, Frozen peas made creamy with mayo, savory with bacon and delicious with cubed cheese. This easy Summer pea salad is perfect for pot lucks and gatherings.
- Broccoli Salad with Raisins, Bacon and Cashews, This broccoli salad recipe is a perfect side dish for any back yard BBQ, picnics, parties thrown your way.
And if you’re looking for more side dish recipes, don’t miss my Side Dishes Category. You’ll find lots of tasty recipes, including the most popular side dish recipe on my site for Broccoli Cheez Whiz Rice Casserole.
Tangy Mustard Cauliflower, Microwave Cauliflower
- 1 head head cauliflower rinsed, core and bottom leaves removed
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon onion — finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 3 slices American cheese or 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Place cauliflower in casserole. Add water and cover with lid or plastic wrap.
- Microwave on high 8 – 9 minutes or till tender crisp.
- Combine mayonnaise, onion, and mustard in small mixing bowl. Spoon mustard sauce on top of cauliflower. Use the back of the spoon to smooth the sauce evenly over the top of the cauliflower. Lay slices of cheese over the top, alternating the way they face so they melt evenly.
- Microwave for 1 – 2 minutes to heat topping and melt cheese. Let stand two minutes.