Cooking a whole head of cauliflower in the microwave is a super easy side dish. Topped with a mixture of mayonnaise, mustard and slices of American cheese, this creamy, cheesy tangy microwave cauliflower recipe is one even cauliflower haters will love.
About This Recipe and Why It Works
Way back in the dark ages, when microwave ovens were first available for purchase for our home kitchens, I got one for Christmas.
It was a Radar Range and I wish I had a photo of it. Compared to our sleek modern versions, it’s probably somewhat laughable. The appliance came with a cookbook illustrating how you could magically prepare anything from pot roast to desserts …in a flash.
This new appliance seemed so daunting, I was compelled to take a class offered at our local Sears store. A demonstration type class, that lasted a couple of hours.
This is where I learned of this microwave cauliflower recipe, a recipe to microwave a whole head of cauliflower. I’ve been making it ever since, and regularly for over 40 years.
I’ve always claimed that even cauliflower haters would cozy up to this recipe. And being married to one, I can attest that even the Ranch Hand likes this one.
To steam cauliflower in the microwave yields a tender texture and sweet flavor.
Once the topping of mayonnaise, mustard and American cheese are added the tangy, creamy cheesy flavors truly enhance the entire experience.
If you’re looking for easy cauliflower recipes, you must give this one a try. It’s so easy, creamy and cheesy.
Ingredients To Make Microwave Cauliflower
- Cauliflower: 1 whole head. Any size will do. I always grab a large sized head of cauliflower for more servings and leftovers.
- Mayonnaise: A good quality mayo works well for cooking. Dukes or Best Foods are good here.
- Mustard: Plain yellow prepared mustard.
- Onion: Fine diced sweet or yellow onion.
- American Cheese: Individual slices of American Cheese is a beautiful melting cheese.
- Cheese: Substitute grated cheese for the American Slices. A medium cheddar works well. I highly recommend grating the cheese yourself as the pre-grated bags of cheese contain ingredients to keep it from sticking together in the bag. In turn, those ingredients will keep the cheese from melting as well.
- Onion: To make things even easier, I’ve used dried onion flakes for this recipe. Just mix in the flakes and let it sit a few minutes to soften before cooking.
How To Make This Easy Microwave Cauliflower with Cheese
Step 1: Using a sharp large chef knife, cut around the core area and remove the protruding core and outer leaves of the cauliflower.
Step 2: Place the cauliflower, core side down in a deep 2 – 3 quart microwavable casserole dish. Add 2 tablespoons of water, cover and cook for 8 – 10 minutes on high.
Step 3: Make the sauce. While the cauliflower is cooking, combine the mustard, mayo, and onions and blend together with a fork.
Step 4: Remove the cooked cauliflower from the microwave and spoon the sauce over the top.
Step 5: Using the back of a spoon, coat the cooked cauliflower with the mayo, mustard sauce. Make sure to coat the cauliflower as far down the sides as you can.
Step 6: Add the slices of American Cheese to the top of the sauced cauliflower. Alternate the angle of the cheese slices for even melting.
Step 7: Cover the pan with the lid and return the cauliflower to the microwave. Cook on high for 2 minutes to melt the cheese and heat the mayonnaise mustard sauce. Let the cauliflower stand, covered, for two minutes before slicing.
Step 8: Using a sharp knife, slice the cauliflower in wedges and serve immediately.
Tips for Success
I like to sprinkle this microwave cauliflower with something red to enhance the presentation. A pinch of chile powder or paprika work well here.
By the way, did you read that the Millennials are throwing American Cheese out of their diets? If you are one that simply doesn’t like processed American cheese, you can most certainly substitute grated cheddar cheese. But it doesn’t melt as beautifully.
I tried cooking this in my Instant Pot and it took longer than in the Microwave. Due to pre-heating, coming to pressure, and releasing pressure, the microwave had it beat by about eight minutes. Score one for the microwave. But yes, you can cook a whole head of cauliflower in the Instant Pot. Just follow the same steps for the microwave recipe.
Microwave powers vary as do the size of a full head of cauliflower. After 8 minutes of cooking the cauliflower in the microwave, remove it and use a fork to test its doneness. If the fork inserts into a tender vegetable, the cauliflower is done. If it feels too crisp, return to microwave and cook 1 – 2 minutes longer.
Did your perfect deep casserole dish not come with a lid? Simple, just cover tightly with plastic wrap. Using a fork , poke a few holes in the plastic wrap.
Recipe for Microwave Cauliflower, How To Cook Cauliflower in the Microwave
I hope you give this microwave cauliflower recipe a try. And if you do, please come back and let me know how you liked it and give the recipe a star rating.
Your feedback is valuable to me for developing future recipes. And if you have a any favorite microwave cauliflower recipes, or a quick microwave vegetable side dish, please let me know, I’d welcome the opportunity to give it a try.
If you’re looking for something a little more hoity-toity, take a look at this Creamy Swiss Cheese Cauliflower. It’s from the Silver Palate Cookbook and I’ve made this many times for dinner parties. Rich and wow.
More Vegetable Side Dish Recipes
- Old Fashioned Sweet and Tangy Green Beans Southern style with bacon and a sweet and sour dressing. A side dish that will compliment any meat entree.
- Hearty Pea Salad, Frozen peas made creamy with mayo, savory with bacon and delicious with cubed cheese. This easy Summer pea salad is perfect for pot lucks and gatherings.
- Broccoli Salad with Raisins, Bacon and Cashews, This broccoli salad recipe is a perfect side dish for any back yard BBQ, picnics, parties thrown your way.
And if you’re looking for more side dish recipes, don’t miss my Side Dishes Category. You’ll find lots of tasty recipes, including the most popular side dish recipe on my site for Broccoli Cheez Whiz Rice Casserole.
Tangy Mustard Cauliflower, Microwave Cauliflower
- 1 head head cauliflower rinsed, core and bottom leaves removed
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon onion — finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 3 slices American cheese or 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Place cauliflower in microwavable 2 – 3 quart casserole with lid. Add water and cover with lid or plastic wrap.
- Microwave on high 8 – 9 minutes or till tender crisp. Use a fork to test doneness. If it feel too crisp, return to microwave for 1 – 2 minutes longer.
- In the meantime, combine mayonnaise, onion, and mustard in small mixing bowl. Use a fork to blend into a smooth sauce.
- Once the cauliflower has completed its first cook in the microwave, spoon mustard sauce on top of cauliflower. Use the back of the spoon to smooth the sauce evenly over the top of and sides of the cauliflower.
- Lay slices of cheese over the top, alternating the way they face so they melt evenly.
- Microwave for 1 – 2 minutes more, covered, to heat topping and melt cheese. Let stand two minutes before serving.
Microwave Cauliflower Recipe … It’s whats for an easy side dish