Old Fashioned Green Bean Recipe. Southern style with bacon and a sweet and sour dressing. A side dish that will compliment any meat entree.
Mother’s day was a tough one for me this year. You see, I lost my mom last August. All the eloquent writing skills in the world cannot describe what a great woman she was and the positive impact she had on who I am today. Strong, kind, smart, generous, giving, fun, happy … there, that’s a good start.
She was a good cook simply because she liked to cook and was always rewarded by putting a big meal on the table. And when I say big, I mean big. Growing up on a farm, we were often feeding one or more meals a day to “hired hands”, as we called them. A big fried chicken spread and roast beef were staples.
One of my favorite side dishes was her green beans. Sweet and sour, there’s bacon involved. I could never resist a 2nd helping.
She mostly made this recipe with canned beans, but I can remember sitting on the back stoop of the house snapping the ends off fresh green beans that were picked from her garden. Most years, my mom had a substantial garden plot just on the other side of the old chicken coop. Spending a considerable time fighting with the raccoons, she’d successfully grow sweet corn, green beans, tomatoes and whatever caught her fancy that season.
Recipe for Old Fashioned Green Beans
I hope you give this Old Fashioned Green Beans recipe a try. And if you do, please come back and let me know how you liked it and give the recipe a star rating.
Your feedback is valuable to me for developing future recipes. And if you have a favorite green bean recipe, let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
More Green Bean Recipes
- Green Beans with Pecan Lemon Vinaigrette
- Green Beans Bolognese
- Hericot Vert Recipe in Dijon Mustard Cream Sauce
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @cookingontheranch so I can check it out and leave a comment!
Kansas Old Fashioned Green Beans
- 5 15 ounce cans green beans drained
- 10-12 slices of bacon
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup butter melted
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet (with edges, like this one) with foil. then spread out the bacon and bake it for 20 minutes, or until crispy.
- While the bacon is cooking, open and drain the green beans, then spread them out in a 9″x13″ baking dish.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, melted butter, soy sauce and minced garlic . Pour it over the green beans.
- After the bacon is crispy, remove it from the oven, drain and chop it. Spread it over the green beans. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F, then bake the beans for 40 minutes.
Kansas Old Fashioned Green Beans … It’s what’s for a side dish.