If you love a sweet and salty flavor combination, you’re going to flip over this Southern style green beans recipe. This irresistible comfort food casserole of green beans with bacon and brown sugar will compliment any main course entree.
We’re big veggie fans here On The Ranch. Our favorite vegetable side dishes include Cheesy Tangy Microwave Cauliflower, Slow Cooker Garlic Butter Baked Potatoes, and Swiss Cheese Creamed Cauliflower. These recipes are all winners and great for feeding a crowd.
This green beans and bacon recipe is hands down another one of our favorite side dishes to serve year round and a tradition at our Thanksgiving table.
This is an easy recipe that’s sweet, savory and absolutely delicious. Seasoned with bacon, brown sugar, butter and soy sauce, how can you go wrong.
Why You’re Going To Love This Recipe
- This recipe uses canned beans. Just simply drain off the liquid = easy peasy.
- This is a side dish that will feed a crowd. Calling for 6 cans of green beans, this easily serves 8 people.
- Aside from frying the bacon, it’s somewhat of a dump and bake style recipe. Combining all of the ingredients and it’s off to the oven.
- Prep time is quick. It’s ready for the oven in around 15 minutes.
- The end flavor is a sweet and salty combo that is irresistible.
- A perfect side dish for any season and any holiday.
- There’s bacon involved … nuff said there.
- Bacon. Just use your favorite brand.
- Canned Green Beans: Drained.
- Brown Sugar: I’ve used both light brown sugar and dark brown sugar for this recipe. Either works fine.
- Garlic Powder
- Soy Sauce: or use Tamari sauce to make this a gluten free green beans recipe.
Step by Step Instructions
- Step 1: In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, soy sauce, garlic powder and melted butter.
- Step 2: Using a whisk, mix together until smooth.
Step 3: Add drained canned green beans to your favorite casserole dish. I like to use my Sur-la-Table 4-quart dish as you’ve got more room to stir and serve without spillage. A Pyrex 9 x 13 Pyrex will work, but it will be crowded. Spread the beans out evenly in the pan.
Step 4: Pour the brown sugar, soy sauce, butter mixture over the beans.
Step 5: Sprinkle cooked and crumbled bacon over the top of the beans. Using a large spoon, gently stir the mixture together.
Bake for 40 minutes at 350 degrees and serve. Voila, you’ve got a delicious green beans and bacon recipe, a casserole style side dish bursting with flavor.
What To Serve with Southern Style Green Beans
This Southern green beans recipe practically goes with about any main course. Chicken, beef, or pork. Try them with Spice Rubbed Pork Tenderloin, or Classic Homemade Meatloaf, or Crockpot Rotisserie Chicken. For a starch, serve alongside Garlic Butter Slow Cooker Baked Potatoes.
- How To Make Real Bacon Bits: I like to slice the bacon into pieces and then fry it. As opposed to frying strips of bacon and then cutting it. Bacon can be a bit ornery to slice, but if you put it in the freezer for about 30 minutes before cutting it, it will be much more manageable.
- Use a good quality knife, or kitchen shears to slice or cut the bacon strips into pieces. No need to separate the individual slices. Cut the bacon into 1/2 inch pieces.
Absolutely. And since I’m always making this for a group of people, that’s what I do. Just prepare the green beans per directions. Cover with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator until ready to bake.
Yes. If you have left-overs, just place them in an air-tight container and freeze. They’ll last for about 6 months in the freezer.
You can. Just wash and trim the ends of the green beans and snap them in half. Boil the fresh beans in salted water for about 30 minutes or until beans are tender. Drain and proceed with the recipe.
Yes. Just let the green beans thaw, then proceed with recipe.
Southern Green Beans Recipe with Bacon
I hope you give this green bean and bacon recipe a try. And if you do, please come back and let me know how you liked it and give the recipe a star rating.
And if you’re looking for more side dish recipe ideas, don’t miss my Side Dish Category. You’ll find lots of great ideas, including one of the most popular recipes on my site for Broccoli Cheez Whiz Casserole.
Southern Green Beans Recipe with Bacon and Brown Sugar
- 90 ounces canned green beans 6 small cans. Drained
- 10-12 slices of bacon regular or thick cut will work
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup butter melted
- ¼ cup soy sauce or tamari to make this gluten free
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder or granulated garlic
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut bacon into 1/2 inch pieces and fry until nice and crispy.
- While the bacon is cooking, open and drain the green beans, then spread them out into a 3 quart casserole dish. A 9 x 13 Pyrex will work but it will be crowded. I like to use a 4 quart dish so I have more room to stir and serve without spillage.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, melted butter, soy sauce and garlic powder. Pour it over the green beans.
- After the bacon is crispy, remove it from the oven, drain. Stir the beans to distribute the sauce and the bacon. Bake the beans for 40 minutes.
- I like to slice the bacon into pieces and then fry it. As opposed to frying strips of bacon and then cutting it. Bacon can be a bit ornery to slice, but if you put it in the freezer for about 30 minutes before cutting it, it will be much more manageable.
- Use a good quality knife, or kitchen shears to slice the bacon strips into pieces. No need to separate the individual slices. Cut the bacon into 1/2 inch pieces.
Southern Style Green Beans with Bacon and Brown Sugar … It’s what’s for a side dish.
This recipe was first published in July of 2016, and updated in December of 2021 with better photos and instructions.