This easy black bean soup will make your weeknight cooking plans a pleasure. Using canned black beams makes this one of our favorite easy soup recipes. Sherried Black Bean and Ham Soup with carrots, peas and savory spices. Give it a try.
We’ve had our first snow in Denver. On Wednesday it was a beautiful Chamber of Commerce day with blue skies and temperatures in the upper 70’s. The trees were showing off a brilliant canopy of Fall colors for the major networks and the Presidential Candidates who were roaring into town for the debate. And then BAM, as they all rolled out of town, temperatures dropped about 40 degrees, American flags were whipping in the wind and an inch of snow soon covered our green grassy areas.
What does all this mean? We added a blanket on the bed and it’s officially soup season.
I’ve made this soup for years. It’s one of those easy weeknight dinners that’s steaming in the bowl and on the table in a flash. Canned black beans and a ham steak cooperate in making this a speedy meal. With just a quick saute of sliced carrots and chopped onions, everything is ready for a simmer. A quarter cup of Sherry adds a splash of sophistication. This is one of our favorites.
Even though canned black beans make this super easy, I like to put a cup of black beans in the crock pot in the morning. Add a bay leaf and let them cook on low all day. Pretty much as easy as getting out the can opener. And healthier.
Recipe for Easy Black Bean Soup with Sherry and Ham
I hope you give this easy black bean soup recipe a try. And if you do, please come back and let me know how you liked it and give the recipe a star rating.
Your feedback is valuable to me for developing future recipes. And if you have a favorite black bean soup recipe, let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
Chef’s Tip: Add a sprinkle of New Mexico Red Chile Powder on the sour cream. Not only for appearance, but a little extra kick of heat.
And a big thanks to Larry and Bev for providing the ham steak for this recipe. When they were here they presented us with a souvenir care package of Benton’s Country Ham products. WOW, What a treat and thank you, thank you, thank you!
A wonderful and easy black bean and ham soup. Great way to use left over ham.
- 2 large Carrots cleaned and thin sliced
- 1/2 large Sweet onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic diced
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil
- 2 teaspoon Ground cumin
- 4 Cups Water
- 2 15-ounce canned black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 Cup Fully cooked ham steak chopped
- 1/4 cup Dry Sherry
- 1 teaspoon Beef bouillon
- 1 teaspoon Dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon Ground red pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 Cup Frozen peas thawed
- Sour Cream for garnish
- Measure out frozen peas to thaw while you cook. In a large saucepan cook carrots, onion and garlic in hot oil over medium low heat for 3 minutes. Stir in cumin and cook till carrots are tender, about two more minutes. Stir in water, beans, ham, sherry, bouillon, oregano, red pepper flakes and bay leaves. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaves.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls, sprinkle with a few peas and a dollop of sour cream.
For a fresher and healthier version. Just put a cup of dried black beans in the crock first thing in the morning. Add 3 cups water and a bay leaf and let them cook on low all day. Almost as easy as getting out the can opener for canned beans.
Sprinkle some chile powder on the sour cream for an added kick of heat and appearance.
Easy Black Bean Soup with Ham and Sherry …It’s What’s for Dinner.