Little earthy button mushrooms come alive with Western flavors for these Chorizo Stuffed Mushrooms. Try these cheesy, chorizo, jalapeno pepper-stuffed mushrooms for your next appetizer.
I made stuffed mushrooms with chorizo this week.
We were invited over to Party Central last Sunday to celebrate football Sunday with a Bronco game.
I’ve dubbed our friends Greg and Cauleen’s house “Party Central” because they have a foosball table, a trampoline, a game room, a back yard that resembles a park and an ample supply of good wine. All kids, dogs and adults are destined to have a good time.
Anyway, Greg was doing pizza on the grill and I declared that I was bringing appetizers. Chorizo Stuffed Mushrooms.
My Italian Stuffed Mushroom recipe has been one of my most popular posts on my site. Seems like everyone takes a shining to a little mushroom cap filled with meat and cheese.
Something so irresistible about them. They’ve cast a special spell on us.
They’re a perfect appetizer. Earthy and delicious, you don’t need a toothpick, or for that matter even a plate. Maybe a napkin if they’re as cheesy as this recipe.
As opposed to my regular go-to recipe, I decided on something on the wild side.
Something to make that humble little button super food come alive with Mexican flavors. Using Colorado Haystack Mountain Vaquero Cheese, the filling was so good you might be tempted to eat it with a spoon.
And if you’re looking for more mushroom appetizer recipe ideas, take a look at this very popular choice, Mushroom Bruschetta.
More Popular Appetizer Recipes
And if you’re looking for even more fun finger food appetizer recipes, don’t miss my
Appetizer Category. You’ll find lots of party recipes including the most popular on my site for Campechana, Mexican Shrimp Cocktail.
If you’ve tried this or any other recipe on my website, please leave a star rating in the recipe card below. And write a review in the comment section. I always appreciate your feedback.
And, don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter for more delicious recipes and cooking tips. Make it a delicious day … every day.
Cheesy Chorizo Stuffed Mushrooms
- 12 good sized button mushrooms cleaned, stems removed
- 1/8 pound bulk Chroizo sausage
- 1 medium sized shallot diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeds and veins removed, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1/2 cup Vaquero cheese or your favorite Monterey Jack, shredded
- Clean the mushrooms with a damp paper towel, removing the stems.
- Dice the stems and set aside. In a fry pan, cook the chorizo until almost done. Add the shallot and diced jalapeno until tender, about 3 minutes. Make sure the chorizo is broken up into as small of pieces as you can get it. So it will nicely fit into the mushrooms. Add the chili powder, cumin and a few dashes of salt and pepper. Let cool a bit to make filling mushrooms easier. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.
- Place the mushroom caps on a sheet pan or 9 x 11 casserole dish, and drizzle with olive oil. With a small spoon, fill the caps with the chorizo mixture, patting the mixture with your fingers so it forms in the mushroom cap. Sprinkle each mushroom with cornmeal. And then top with cheese.
- Bake 350 degrees for 15 – 20 minutes. Or until cheese is just starting to brown and mushrooms are tender.
Cheesy Chorizo Stuffed Mushrooms…They’re what’s for an Appetizer.
Why Trust These Recipes? Lea Ann Brown has lived, worked and played in Colorado for 45 years. She has immersed herself in the Colorado Culinary space, is a Culinary School Graduate and publishes her Colorado food Blog, Cooking On The Ranch.