Goat cheese bruschetta starts with soft creamy cheese, topped with sautéed shiitake mushrooms, briney capers and anchovies. A provocative combination of flavors. An easy goat cheese appetizer that is perfect for a Summer Evening Tapas on the back deck. Don’t forget that glass of white wine.
This recipe has everything you love about bruschetta and more.
- Crusty toasted bread
- Creamy tangy goat cheese
- Earthy shiitake mushrooms
- Salty tart capers
Our rock and roll loving, wine drinking, bird watching friends Nancy and Neal (California) and Thomas (Ohio) descended on Colorado last week.
A couple of days spent in Denver included a lovely dinner at Ja little French Bistro, and a tapas-style dinner on our back deck the next evening.
Throw in a week-long trip to the high country where we stayed at a rustic cabin at the base of Rocky Mountain National Park on a sleepy little mountain lake, complete with moose, marmot, mink, otter, chipmunk, chickoree, ptarmigan, elk, deer, bats and miscellaneous riff-raff (racoon), and you’ve got a fabulous little vacation. “Paradise” as one of us coined it.
Our patio Summer tapas menu included some mighty fine small bite appetizers, but hands down, this was the most popular item of the evening.
You’ve got to give this one a try. It’s one of those oh-for-pitty-sake good combos. It’s now in my database as a favorite.
Goat Cheese Bruschetta, with Mushrooms, Capers and Anchovies, Summer Tapas Dinner Menu
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 4-6 shiitake mushrooms Stems diced, caps thin sliced
- 4-8 anchovy fillets minced. (I used 4)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tablespoons salted capers rinsed and chopped
- 2 Tablespoons dry vermouth
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- 1 French Baguette sliced
- 4 ounces goat cheese room temperature
- Melt 1 tbsp butter with 1 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan and saute mushrooms until browned.
- Add anchovies and garlic and cook until the fish liquifies.
- Add capers and parsley and cook on medium for a minute more.
- Add vermouth and deglaze pan. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with crusty bread slices covered in a layer of goat cheese.
Goat Cheese Bruschetta, with Mushrooms, Capers and Anchovies…It’s What’s for a Summer Tapas Menu.
From the Kitchen of Lea Ann Brown, Cooking On The Ranch