Stuffed with a cheese sauce and sautéed shrimp, rolled up and wrapped tight, these shrimp burritos are baked into a creamy…rich…and decadent treat.
Today’s #SundaySupper theme is “stuff it, roll it and wrap it”. We were to think sandwiches, wraps, tacos, calzones, dumplings, wontons, corndogs, empanadas, samosas, ravioli, spring rolls, egg rolls, lettuce wraps, burritos. Anything stuffed that has a filling with something wrapped around it. Which equals everything I absolutely love.
And if you’re not familiar, the #SundaySupper movement was started by Isabel over at Family Foodie as a project for “bringing back Sunday supper around the family table.” Who can argue with that??? And a special thanks to Amy over at Kimchimom for being our hostess.
These burritos are made with shrimp that’s been sautéed with green onions and wrapped inside a fluffy white tortillas and drizzled with a thickened sauce of Monterey Jack and sour cream that’s been spiked with onion, red bell, jalapeno and Hatch peppers, tomatillo, tomato and zucchini. After the burritos are rolled and wrapped tight, they’re then smothered with more of the sauce, more cheese and baked until bubbly…and on my plate please!
Don’t let the long list of ingredients scare you away. The end result is melt in your mouth treat that will have your guests begging for the recipe.
- 2 T. olive oil
- ½ C. red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ C. sweet onion, chopped
- ½ C. Hatch green chile, roasted, peeled, chopped
- 1 tomatillo diced
- ½ C. unpeeled zucchini, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and diced
- ½ t. dried Mexican oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 3 T. flour
- 3 T. water
- 1 C. milk
- 1 C. Monterey Jack cheese, grated and divided
- ¼ C. sour cream
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ¾ C. green onions, chopped and divided
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 6-8 inch flour tortillas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 9 inch baking dish with PAM. In a saucepan heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add bell pepper, onion, chile peppers, tomatillo, zucchini and oregano. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Stir in salt, pepper and cayenne.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and water and whisk to blend. Add to bell pepper mixture. Add milk and stir until well blended. Reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Add ½ cup of the Monterey Jack cheese and stir until melted. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.
- In a skillet, heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add shrimp and ½ cup of the green onions. Stir until shrimp just turn pink, about 2 minutes. Stir in half of the bell pepper mixture and half of the tomatoes. Remove from heat. Lay out flour tortillas and fill equally with the shrimp mixture. Roll tightly and place seam side down in the baking dish.
- Top burritos with remaining half of the bell pepper mixture. Cover with foil and bake 30 - 40 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Top with remaining ½ cup of Monterey Jack cheese, ¼ cup green onions and remaining chopped tomatoes. Serve immediately.
Shrimp Burritos Con Queso…It’s what’s for #SundaySupper.
And don’t forget to check out all of the participants creations:
Starters and Snacks
- Easy Apple Dumplings by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Endive Stuffed with Blue Cheese, Walnuts and Honey by Shockingly Delicious
- Filipino Turon (Banana Lumpia) by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Arepas de Queso (cheese stuffed cornmeal cakes) by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Chicken Tinga Taquitos with Avocado Cream by Savvy Eats
- Eggy Rice Wraps by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Puff Pastry and Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Onigiri by Brunch With Joy
- Stuffed Shell Pierogies by Seduction in The Kitchen
- Scotch Eggs with Sriracha Dipping Sauce by Run DMT
- Celery Root and Lentil Lettuce Wraps with Yogurt-Garlic Dressing by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Entrees and Mains
- Rouladen by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Stracci di Antrodoco by Manu’s Menu
- Eggplant Rollatini by MealDiva
- Chicken Cordon Blue by The Foodie Army Wife
- Stuffed Whole Baby Savoy Cabbages by Food Lust People Love
- Chicken Taco Egg Rolls by Table for Seven
- Shrimp Tempura Rolls by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Herbed Stuffed Salmon by Nosh My Way
- Tamales de Rajas y Requeson (Roasted Poblano Tamales) by La Cocina de Leslie
- Bademjan Shekam-por – Persian Stuffed Eggplant by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Mascarpone Blueberry Stuffed French Toast by gotta get baked
- Korean-style Meaty Stuffed Potatoes by kimchi MOM
- Strawberries and Cream Pancake Roll by Curious Cuisiniere
- Creamy Goat Cheese Quinoa Stuffed Tomatoes by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Greek Rolled Meatloaf by Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Shrimp Burritos Con Queso by Cooking On The Ranch
- Bee-Bim Bop Sushi Rolls by NinjaBaking.com
- Angel Hair Shrimp Lettuce Wraps by Family Foodie
- Genoa Salami and Kalamata Olive Calzones by The Texan New Yorker
- Zucchini Boats by Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Girl’s Camp Breakfast Burritos by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Crab Louie Stuffed Chicken by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Rustic “Wrapped” Tart with Ramps by Delaware Girl Eats
- Potato Roll Stuffed with Ham and Cheese in Red Sause by Basic N Delicious
- Ham, Turkey and Cheddar Turnovers by Magnolia Days
- Crispy Chipotle Shrimp Burritos by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Caprese Stuffed Chicken Breasts by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Pizza Pockets by girlichef
- Ham and Cheese Crescent “Roll” Stromboli by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Beef Wellington Braciole by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Greek Salad Wrap by The Messy Baker
- Herbed Venison Lettuce Wraps by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
All things Sweet
- Carrot Cake Cinnamon Rolls by Chocolate Moosey
- Chocolate Hazelnut Rugelach by Desserts Required
- Chocolate Cake Roll by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cannoli Stuffed French Toast by Momma’s Meals
- Lemon Poppyseed Swirl Cookies by What Smells So Good
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Egg Rolls by Melanie Makes
- Raspberry and Mascarpone Stuffed French Toast by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Chocolate Chip Banana Sweet Rolls by Big Bear’s Wife
- Orange Chocolate Swiss Roll by Noshing With The Nolands
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Cookies by Alida’s Kitchen
- Flourless Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies by Pies and Plots
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter every Sunday!
We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world.
Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag
and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat.
our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
On this day..
- Lemon Basil Pasta in Artichoke Sauce and a Pasta Giveaway - 2013
- Just Grilled, Eclectic Big Dude - 2010