Hearty Pea Salad, Kansas Cook’n

Pea Salad with Cheddar

Estabrook Family I compiled The Estabrook Family Cookbook over ten years ago. I nagged my Mother’s side of the family; aunts, uncles, 1st, 2nd and 3rd cousins until I had enough recipes to create a respectable sampling of the food that graced our family tables while we were growing up. It was also a mission to capture some of my mother and aunts’ dishes. You know the ones. When you ask how they made it, the answer was that recipe had never been written down.

I’m surprised at myself that I’ve only blogged about a couple of recipes from this book. Well, that’s going to change as I’ll be posting a series of recipes from our family cookbook. First up is this Hearty Pea Salad. It’s one of the recipes that my cousin Chuck submitted. Chuck was the son of my Aunt Lena and Uncle Frank. They farmed land near Abbyville, Kansas, (population 87). It’s about eight miles from our family farm. Our families spent a lot of time together when I was growing up.

Chuck now lives in  Kremlin, Oklahoma where he and Kim live and farm their family ranch/farm.

I didn’t remember this dish at family gatherings, so I sent a message off to Kim to inquire about it’s origin. She said they found it in some old church cookbook and tweaked it to their liking. I published this cookbook in 2003. Being a pea fan, I sticky noted it immediately. And now ten years later, I’m just now getting around to giving it a try. My loss for the lapse in time. It’s delicious and it went straight into my permanent database.

Hearty Pea Salad Growing up, the term “Salad Dressing” in our family, always referred to Miracle Whip. I usually have some on hand, but used mayonnaise for this batch. Creamy with mayonnaise, crunchy with bacon bits, and chewy with small cubes of sharp Tillamook Cheddar Cheese, seasoned with celery and sweet pickles, this is a great side dish for any entree.

pea salad side dish

And you can’t go wrong serving it with a grilled burger. Thanks Chuck and Kim for this recipe.

5.0 from 1 reviews
Hearty Pea Salad, Kansas Cook'n

Author:
Recipe type: Side Dish
Cuisine: American
Ingredients
  • 2 C. frozen peas, cooked, drained
  • ½ C. mild or sharp Cheddar cheese, small cubed
  • 3 hard cooked eggs, chopped
  • 1 C. celery, chopped
  • ½ C. sweet pickles, chopped
  • 2 slice bacon, cooked and crumbled (my addition)
  • 2 T. cream
  • ½ C. Miracle Whip
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
Instructions
  1. Combine first 6 ingredients, (peas through bacon). Mix cream and salad dressing. Stir dressing and salt into salad mixture. Chill overnight.

Hearty Pea Salad…It’s What’s for a Side dish.

Comments

First of all the burger looks fantastic. I’ve always enjoyed this type of pea salad and you version sounds very good but I have to stick with the mayo and of course everything is better with bacon and cheddar.

Great looking burger Lea Ann. I wish my mother had written down more of her recipes. She cooked from scratch from recipes in her head. Sadly we have practically none of those. BUT, I did find her one and only cookbook that she ever owned and much to my surprise, there were a couple of the recipes she had used in it. All I had to do was find the ones where the pages were dirty :)

Sam, I have an ancient cookbook that my mom learned from and going through it, I’ve found some of her techniques that she learned from this book. I keep it in a plastic bag. It’s from the 30′s.

I am so proud of you for writing this book. In my family we are relegated to mere memories of that great coconut cake grandma used to make or Mom’s wonderful Waldorf salad, without a true recipe to rely on. I do love pea salad. I believe it is actually called Iowa Pea Salad, and it seems that everyone, from Iowa or not have their own version. Yours looks delicious.

Hi again, Lea Ann. Got so excited about the pea salad I forgot to mention your book. I think this is FANTASTIC! I have been working on just such a cookbook for what seems like forever. I’m trying to make sure I don’t leave anything out. I’ll be looking forward to your recipes. What a wonderful thing you have done to preserve your family heritage.

That cookbook project sounds like something I should get started on too. The folks aren’t getting an younger.

I love this salad, but haven’t had it in forever. Thanks for bringing back my memories of this.

Dave, it was really easier than you imagine. The companies that do this do so much of the work. The big job is to gather and proof read. And seeing the look on my Aunt’s faces when they received the books …. priceless!

I think family recipes are such a great idea. What a wonderful way to strengthen your family ties through food and through generations. Looking forward to enjoying this pea salad and more recipes from your collection!

Lea Ann, I think it’s wonderful you are honoring your mother’s side of the family in this cookbook and passing along their recipes to current and future generations. I stopped by from Paula’s GYB party.

I love that you compiled a family cookbook, LeeAnn! We did one 7-8 years ago as well and I love having so many food memories in one place.

Thank you Mary. I agree, and it was so satisfying to see the smile on my Aunt’s face when she saw this book. She bought so many to give to all of her friends.

Lee Ann
    I love family cookbooks – I made one a few years ago after my grandmother passed… I was desperate to hold on to her anyway I could….
    Anyhow, congrats on getting featured on the #GYBHop this week!
    Happy Thursday!
    Ang

Thanks so much for stopping by and the comment. And good for you for getting that cookbook done! They are charished pieces. And thanks for that congrats. I was shocked and very pleased.

I love old family recipes. They make you feel connected somehow. I have some fresh peas from the farmers market in the freezer and am going to make this salad. It looks yummy.

I think it’s neat that you made a cookbook with family recipes!

You know, I don’t really like pea salad but it’s because I don’t like peas. But your post takes me back to my childhood. My mom used to make pea salad to take to family gatherings! I’ll admit, the flavors of the sauce are good, I just can’t stand peas! Your salad does look delicious, though. :)

Lean Ann, There’s nothing better than a collection of recipes handed down from generation to generation. Anytime I get the opportunity to purchase a cookbook from a church group, or a collection of family recipes, I jump at the chance. There’s no substitution for good old-fashioned cooking. Some of those recipes are true gems, and this looks one of those. I love peas and I love cheese…..can’t get better than that.
    I’m just getting started in the blogging world…..one week old. My recipes also come from the heart. Hope you’ll stop by and say Hi @ Melding Magic.

This reminds me of a pea salad my grandmother used to make. She used shredded cheese, I think. I always loved it, but I’d forgotten about it and have never made it myself. Thanks for bringing this back to mind!

I’m receiving so many comments like yours Lisa. I didn’t realize this was an old recipe. It was pretty much unknown to me until now. I really liked it. As always, thanks so much for stopping by and the comment.