Pineapple Cake

This is a repost of a recipe that didn’t make the journey over to my new site when I switched from WordPress.com to WordPress.org.  I’ve made this pineapple cake several times since I first wrote about it.  Always a crowd pleaser.

Pineapple Cake

This Pineapple Cake gets rave reviews every time I take it to a pot luck.

I got the recipe from our friends Greg and Cauleen who got the recipe from Greg’s cousin Jimmy’s wife, Lisa, who got the recipe from her 2nd cousin’s wife Micky Duffy who brought it to Lisa’s bridal shower 29 years ago. Each invitee to that shower was asked to bring their favorite recipe to share with the bride-to-be. Which by the way, isn’t that a wonderful idea?

Jimmy and Lisa

Jimmy and Lisa live in Missouri and visit Greg and Cauleen each Summer. This photo of them was taken on a day trip to Vail. During their visit, we were invited over to Greg and Cauleen’s for what I thought was to be an innocent afternoon meal, meet cousins Jimmy and Lisa, and enjoy your normal run of the mill pot luck food, only to find myself blindsided by a couple of fabulous food discoveries. A bottle of the best BBQ sauce I’ve ever tasted which was a Missouri souvenir they brought to Greg. And this delicious cake that Lisa prepared for the pot luck, which upon my first bite had me begging for the recipe…and I don’t even like cake.

Blues Hog Sauce

First let’s talk about Blues Hog barbecue sauce that hails from Perry, Missouri. An original recipe created by Bill Arnold, the Pit Master and Chef of the Blues Hog Cookers. Their website tells me that the formula is award-winning and made from the highest quality sugars and spices in a way which sets their standards high above other commercial sauces. It contains no preservatives, is low in calories and contains no fat. The sauce has been successful in winning many competitions and is being sold and shipped all over the United States and foreign countries.

To me the flavor was a perfect blend of spicy and sweet and as their web site says “sticks to your meat”. I can’t remember what Greg grilled, but I most certainly remember how good that sauce tasted.

Barbecue schmarbecue…let’s take a look at this cake.

pineapple-cake

Not only did Lisa serve up this delicious cake, but just happened to have with her the original hand written recipe that was given to her 29 years ago. A food blogger’s dream come true. You really should give recipe this a try. It’s a super easy cake to make and with a can of crushed pineapple, incredibly moist and dense. When topped with that cream cheese, pecan frosting, every bite is divine and addicting.

Thanks to Lisa for sharing this with me, it’s now my go-to “wow them” recipe. And believe me there’s a reason Micky Duffy underlined “very good’

Micky Duffy’s Pineapple Sheet Cake…It’s What’s for Dessert.

Comments

The old recipes are the best! Love that you have the original. No doubt I’m aging myself (again), but someone gave me a recipe shower in the early 50′s. It was a super idea and what gems I received! Must confess, though, some of my favorites came from a cooking contest I entered in 1960. A friend put all the entries in cookbook form. Old church cookbooks are great sources too.
    Pineapple cake sounds yummy. Dad made a divine pineapple sherbet. We don’t use pineapple often enough in recipes any more.

My aunt hosted a “no-show” shower for me before my wedding which was similar to what you describe except that it included all of the out of town friends and family who couldn’t be there in person. Each sent a hand-written recipe card to my aunt who kindly compiled them in a cookbook that I turn to time and time again. There’s nothing like passing on love through food!

This looks like a delicious cake — and so easy to make! The BBQ sauce sounds fantastic. –is it sold outside of Missouri?

When my daughter got married last year I also asked everyone who came to her shower to bring their favorite recipe. I included a recipe card in the invitation. I had a special wooden recipe box made with my daughter and future son-in-law’s names and their wedding date on the front, and it also had a poem about the “recipe for a perfect marriage” on the top, so everyone’s recipe cards went inside, along with all the ones I wrote up for her favorite dishes. My son-in-law does most of the cooking, much to my daughter’s delight..lol!

I love pineapple cakes. What a wonderful idea to share favorite recipes at bridal shower! Love that handwritten recipe card as well. You hit the jackpot with this one! and I so stealing this recipe to bake a pineapple cake soon!

5. Mariceli says

Sounds wonderfull. I will give it a try, but what is what looks like this:( / no.) before the 2 cans of crushed pineapple?
    Thanks.

I would be in such trouble if I made this cake. I have been hungry for pineapple and know I wouldn’t leave it alone. I bought a big one at Costco over the weekend and will just dice it and eat it plain. This will be a great recipe for my next family get together. I love the old recipes too, Lea Ann.

Cathy, I saw folks hauling out many pineapple when I was at Costco last weekend. Made me want to go back through the checkout. This is a really good recipe. I know you’ll love it when you make it, and I know you won’t be able to leave it alone. :)