Adding pieces of cut up orange slice candy to snack bars is a delicious treat. This is a recipe for old fashioned Orange Slice Bars. If you’re a fan of orange slice candy, you’re going to go crazy over these chewy dessert bars. They’re over the top kid friendly and popular for any age.
About This Recipe and Why It Works
When’s the last time you had some of those sugary gooey orange slice jelly candy???
I used to love those things as a kid. So no wonder I would love these orange slice bars.
Orange slices are chopped and then soaked in water before mixing with the dough and baking.
The dough isn’t too sweet which compliments the bright taste of the orange slice candy.
The end result is chewy cake like bar that has a crunch of pecan. Dusted with powdered sugar and everyone you make these for will flip.
History of Orange Slice Bars
My mom has had this recipe for as long as I can remember. Notes indicate the recipe came from our neighbor who lived about a mile from us. They made an appearance at every church supper pot luck plus my mom made them often.
My memory tells me that the recipe came from the manufacturer of this candy.
With all that said, these Orange Slice Bars recipe is a crowd pleaser.
Easy Way To Cut Up Orange Slice Candy
The hardest thing about this recipe is chopping up those packaged orange slice candies. Even the sharpest of knives doesn’t work well against that thick gooey sugary candy.
I find that if you place the candy in the freezer for about 20-30 minutes. They’re easier to chop. Use a knife or a good pair of kitchen shears to cut the candy into eight pieces. Dipping the shears or knife in cold water helps with the process.
How To Make This Recipe
Mise en place. Always gather ingredients before starting any recipe. It will save you time and organize your mind.
- Large Eggs
- Unsalted Butter
- Orange Slice Candy
- Baking Powder
- Step 1: Freeze whole orange slice candy for 20 – 30 minutes. With a very sharp knife, cut the candy into eights.
- Step 2: Place the pieces of candy in a bowl and pour 6 tablespoons of boiling water over the candy. Let it stand for at least 2 hours and even overnight if you’re not in a hurry.
- Step 3: Chop the pecans. I like using my chef’s knife.
- Step 4: Using a mixer, cream butter and sugar; add eggs and blend well.
- Step 5: Mix together dry ingredients and add to egg mixture. Using the paddle attachment, gently mix together and then add orange candy and pecans.
Spread the batter into greased and floured 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 inch jelly roll pan. Bake 34 – 40 minutes at 325 degrees.
While the bars are still warm, sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar. Let the bars cool completely before slicing.
- Orange slice bars can sit covered at room temperature for up to three days. Refrigerate in an air-tight container after that. They will stay fresh for up to a week.
- They will also freeze very well. Wrap in plastic wrap and then in aluminum foil. Freeze for up to six months. Defrost in refrigerator overnight.
Recipe for Orange Slice Bars
I hope you give this recipe a try, and if you do, please come back and give it a star rating. And leave a comment about your experience with the recipe.
And if you have any favorite recipes using orange slice candy or for dessert bar recipes, let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
And if you’re looking for even more dessert recipes, don’t miss my Dessert Category. You’ll find lots of mouthwatering recipes including the most popular dessert recipe on my site for No Bake Key Lime Pie.
If you’ve tried this or any other recipe on my website, please leave a star rating in the recipe card below. And write a review in the comment section. I always appreciate your feedback.
And, don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter for more delicious recipes and cooking tips. Make it a delicious day … every day.
Orange Slice Bars Recipe
- 1 pound orange slice jelly candies
- 6 Tablespoons boiling water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 4 whole eggs
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup pecans chopped
- Cut orange slice candies into eights; pour boiling water over candy slices and let stand 2 hours or overnight.
- Using a mixer, cream butter and sugar until it seems fluffy. Add eggs and mix on low until blended.
- Sift dry ingredients together; add to creamed mixture. Add orange slices and pecans and gently mix until well blended. Batter will be thick.
- Using a spatula, put into greased and floured 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 inch jelly roll pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes at 325 degrees or until done. Sprinkle with powdered sugar while warm. Let the bars completely cook before cutting into squares.
Old Fashioned Orange Slice Bars … They’re what’s for dessert.
Why Trust These Recipes? Lea Ann Brown has lived, worked and played in Colorado for 45 years. She has immersed herself in the Colorado Culinary space, is a Culinary School Graduate and publishes her Colorado food Blog, Cooking On The Ranch.