I’m always confused on whether I kabob, kebob or k-bob. Most of the time I safely skewer as to not commit a culinary faux pas. Consulting dictionary.com, kabob seems to be the norm and I found we can use all “a’s” and kabab or throw in a c and cabob. However we spell it, I’m very fond of “small pieces of meat or seafood seasoned or marinated and broiled, often with tomatoes, green peppers, onions, or other vegetables, usually on a skewer”.
When I first started my blog, the reason for the project was to share recipes with friends and family, and to cook through my database and compile a final collection of bests and favorites. For example, I wanted to take the time to compare the five different beef kabob recipes that I had saved over the years, come up with a favorite and delete the impostors.
I’ve had this recipe for a long time, and it’s a combination of a couple of different marinade ideas put into use when I didn’t have ingredients to complete a recipe. Ad-libbed versions sometime turn into wonderful creations. I love the end flavor result and also the visual side of these skewers. Bright orange peppers, dark glossy cubes of beef separated by fresh green sticks of fragrant onions.
With curry as an ingredient, this is a natural served over rice, but for this meal we chose sauteed asparagus and black beans seasoned with cumin and jalapeno.
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup beef broth
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 whole peppercorns
- ½ pound Top Sirloin Steak, cubed
- 1 orange bell pepper, cubed
- 6 green onions, green ends cut
- In a large plastic bag, place beef and marinate overnight. Reserve ¼ cup marinade to baste while cooking.
- Skewer beef, peppers and onion and grill 4 - 5 minutes until beef is done.
Beef Kabobs…It’s What’s for Dinner.
On this day..
- Salmon Saturday's Grilled Copper River Salmon with Homemade Teriyaki Sauce - 2013
- Grilled Watermelon Shrimp Salad, with Curry and Mache - 2009