Silver Spur Ranch Blue Cheese HamBurgers

Before we go any further with these blue cheese hamburgers, I’d like to address the title of this recipe which I found in my Colorado Classique cookbook. It appeared without a hint of why it bears the namesake of this ranch.

Turning to Google I found that Silver Spur Ranch is a huge cattle operation with ranches in New Mexico, Wyoming, Northern Colorado and Central Colorado (Douglas and Elbert Counties). Which by the way we live in Douglas County, so it’s not far from us. The majority of the herd is comprised of Angus x Continental females which are bred to survive the Wyoming/Colorado environmental challenges, altitude and sage brush country. The site includes a bunch of technical cow talk and ranching standards. Not one peep about food.

So I have no story, no history or inspiration  for the recipe. I leave you with only your imagination of cowboys sitting around a campfire after a long cattle drive with their tin cups in hand, inventing non-traditional ingredients to throw into their hamburger meat.

These burgers were SO good that about two bites in I asked Hubs, “Am I just starving or are these things delicious?”  Hubs answered, “These things are delicious!”

Let’s talk about blue cheese burgers. I’ve had a couple here and there, and just wasn’t crazy about them. Until now.  Past experience has left such a strong blue cheese flavor that I should have paired them with a stick of celery or a slice of pear rather than a hamburger bun.

I’m wondering if I had Gorgonzola burgers. I used milder Maytag for these, and this burger was so incredibly and perfectly flavored that I can’t wait to make them again.

They were sided with Alexia Spicy Chipotle Sweet Potato fries (we’re their newest fans) with a simple Meyer lemon and Cholula Aoili and sprinkled with lemon zest and Aleppo pepper.  It was something I made up on the fly as I needed to use up some Meyer lemons. It was a really good flavor combination with the fries.

Our back yard still resembles the Arctic Circle, so I pan fried these in my cast iron.  Let’s take a look.

5.0 from 1 reviews
Silver Spur Ranch Blue Cheese Burgers

Author:
Recipe type: Sandwiches
Serves: 6
Ingredients
  • 2 pounds lean ground beef
  • 3 ounces Maytag blue cheese, crumbled
  • ½ C. fresh chives
  • ½ t. Cholula Hot Pepper Sauce
  • 1 t. Worcestershire sauce
  • ¾ t. coarsely ground black pepper
  • 1 t. salt
  • 1 t. dry mustard
  • Hamburger buns
Instructions
  1. In a large bowl, mix ground beef, blue cheese, chives, hot pepper sauce, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper and mustard. Form into 6 patties. Cover and refrigerate for at least two hours or overnight.
  2. Preheat grill or broiler. Cook burgers 5 - 6 minutes per side or until cooked to desired doneness. Serve on buttered and toasted buns.

Comments

• Lea Ann says

I have to admit, the only blue cheese burgers I’ve had have been pre-made patties from Whole Foods. I just think they must really over due it on the blue cheese, and it turned me off. After having these, I’ll be putting blue cheese in every single burger I make! Loved them.

Yum! I don’t know that I have had a blue cheese burger before, but they sound amazing! I also love Alexia fries … especially the sweet potato ones!

While your picture is very good, as always, it doesn’t seem to do justice to a meal with this name – Blue cheese burgers with Spicy Chipotle Sweet Potato fries, Meyer lemon and Cholula Aoili, and sprinkled with lemon zest and Aleppo pepper. I love all these and will definitely have to try them all. Have some burger thawing as I write.

• Lea Ann says

Wow, makes me hungry just reading your comment! :) I agree, these are a few of my favorite things. The burger was so good it needed no condiment. Maybe a pretty leaf of lettuce might have spruced it up, but really not needed. And those smeared in butter and toasted buns! OMG

I’m on the Aleppo pepper bandwagon lately. I swear it gets sprinkled onto anything that isn’t moving! As always, enjoy your comments Larry.

Lean Ann! That looks ridiculously great! I want to jump on that plate and devour the burger. The only blue cheese burgers that I haven’t liked is when the cheese is only put on top as crumbles. When it is stuffed inside or added to the burger mix, I love it.

Wow! These look incredible. I love blue cheese and to mix it all and the sauce and fries… we will be doing these soon and I will let you know what we think! Love it!

I’ve had a couple of blue cheeseburgers and some I thought were wonderful and others I thought were too rich and tasted fatty. I bet it had to do with what kind of blue cheese they used. I’m so glad you brought that up. It explains it.

Love your presentation. I’ll have to look into the fries. I clicked over to see more and they sound very interesting. I’m going to keep my eye out for them.

• Lea Ann says

The two blue cheeseburgers I’ve had were pre-made patties from Whole Foods. Didn’t like them, I’ll have to ask next time I’m in there what kind of cheese they use. Those fries are really good Sam. Yesterday, I bought three more of their products.

WOW! I’ve never mixed blue cheese in the meat. I bet they taste amazing with the addition of the spices and the marinading time. Will definitely be trying this recipe on our next hamburger night. And I LOVE sweet potato fries. YUM!

I love blue cheeseburgers and this one looks delicious. What caught my eye, though was the sauce extravaganza sitting in the background. Those ingredients are some of my favorite flavors. Now I can’t wait to sprinkle Aleppo on some Meyer Lemon Aioli . . . just can’t get enough of those salty little pepper flakes! (thanks for sharing those) LOL about the Arctic Circle. Dog Days of Winter up here, too.

• Lea Ann says

I really liked that sauce Vickie. Seemed perfect with those fries. I’m in love with that aleppo. Yes, salty and so rich in color and flavor.

I’ve made them with Stilton and loved them….so I bet these would be excellent. Maytag is a tad less strong than Stilton, but still sounds wonderful.
    I remember having my first blue cheese type burger back in Michigan in the 60′s…believe it or not….in an funky little burger joint that was in in a railroad station and had trains circling the ceiling.

I can never really tell the difference between blue cheese and gorgonzola…but I bet either would be delicious in these burgers! THey sound pretty awesome.

• Lea Ann says

Seems like the brands of gorgonzola I’ve had have a stronger flavor than blue cheese. Maybe because I always pick up Maytag, which is a mild blue.

I was thinking to myself “Lea Ann certainly can’t be grilling” and then you answered my thoughts. I sometimes like a burger that has been cooked in a skillet. It adds a certain taste that brings back memories of some great burgers that I have had in a diner. I’ll try Maytag on the next burger. Mine will have to be in a skillet as well.

Oh, my that does sound wonderful. And here I am… should be in the kitchen starting dinner and nothing I’m going to make tonite is going to be as good as that hamburger. Love bleu cheese!

• Lea Ann says

That burger was great Karen. You’re such a good cook, I’m sure what ever you whip up will be delicious. :)