Spicy Gazpacho Shooters…Summer Tapas Dinner Menu…The End

As you can see, the sun is mercifully setting on my back deck tapas dinner party.

I’ll conclude this series with the last offering of these Spicy Gazpacho Shooters. I’ve never made gazpacho or for that matter never ordered it in a restaurant. I just can’t wrap my arms around cold soups, I  like them hot, steamy and wafting with wonderful spices and aromas.

With all that said, I thought these little cold soup shooters would make a fresh and summery addition to the menu. And when I carried them out on my tomato red platter in my cute little crackly-glass shot glasses, I felt so clever and smug and could have cared less what the soup tasted like.

I Googled Gazpacho and the returns were all similar variations that included fresh vegetables, and always cucumber, tomato and bell peppers. I knew I wanted to kick mine up a bit and added jalapeno and a few shakes of Tabasco.

• Spicy Gazpacho Shooters
  • 2 1/2 pounds vine-ripened tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 medium cucumber, peeled and chopped
  • 3 large garlic cloves, minced and mashed to a paste with 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • hand full of crusty croutons
  • 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil

Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse a few times to blend.  Chill until ready to serve.

Spicy Gazpacho Shooters…It’s What’s for a Summer Tapas Dinner.

Comments

1. Nancy says

Loved having it as a shooter instead of the normal soup course. I’m a gazpacho fan…it’s a summertime favorite, and this was terrific – like everything else that evening!!

Yum! I made gazpacho once, but a whole bowl was overwhelming – I love this idea! And that beautiful shot with the red tray and gorgeous shot glasses is a fabulous presentation. I’m sure the spice just kicked it over the top. Ole!

I’m with you, I can’t imagine having a whole bowl of it. After making it, I’m convinced it’s best served as a small appetizer. See you Wednesday! :)

I couldn’t help but smile at the smug comment. Smug is good and it feels sooo fantastic when it happens.Too bad somebody can’t bottle that feeling. With Chili in your name I knew you would want to kick gazpacho up a notch. I’m so glad it turned out great and it looks fantastic in those cute crackly glasses. Now I want a tomato platter like yours. When will my wish list ever end…

I’m not used to seeing posts from you on back-to-back days. I love the idea of the gazpacho shooter and your shimp sauce recipe from yesterday sounds like one I must try

Damn! I can see I have been falling behind here and all the while your posting about MY FAVORITE type of food/eating…TAPAS STYLE! I love these shooters and may be making them in a few weeks for a party we’re having for my dad! They’re beautiful!

Lea Ann I am the same way with cold soups!! I don’t know why – they just don’t see to go together those words – cold and soup. Truthfully I have never given them a chance really. These shooters are the way to do it if you ask me! Beautiful!!

Everybody always seems in such a hurry anymore. We need some of those signs around here! Except I guess ours would say “Relax! Slow Down! You’re at the Beach.”

A little shooter full of gazpacho sounds wonderful to go along with tapas.it reminds me of the little glasses of tomato juice that a restaurant i went to used to serve as soon as they passed out the menus.

I was just looking at gazpacho recipes this morning. I’ve never made it either, and, in fact, I’ve only eaten it once, 35 years ago and I remember how delish it was to this day. Now, if my garden tomatoes would ripen, I could make some. Like that you added jalapeno in this. Great idea to go for shooters!

Karen, I’m getting a few ripe tomatoes but have a bazillion green ones that just have to ripen before the first frost. Keep that cold weather away, would you?