Hummus with olives gets special treatment when you make it like Ya Ya’s restaurant. Grilling pita wedges and topping homemade hummus with Kalamata olives and feta cheese … chickpeas never had it so good.
Healthy hummus. It most certainly rates high on the “must have on hand” for my kitchen.
Having hummus on hand is an incredible option for a healthy snack. A snack for dipping raw vegetables like carrot or cauliflower.
And making homemade hummus literally takes about 10 minutes.
I was inspired to dress things and jazz things up a bit after a recent visit to Ya Ya’s Euro Bistro. The best olive hummus recipe I’ve ever had, I knew I could easily recreate it in my own kitchen.
They’ve simply taken the time to fire grill pita bread and slice it into wedges. And their garlicky hummus with olives is a flavor combination that shines.
Add a sprinkle of feta cheese and a drizzle of chile oil to finish and you’ve got a WOW flavor combo.
The grilled pita wedges are divine, with a little crunch here and there from grilling, but still soft and chewy inside. Served warm they’re delightful.
Let’s take a look, this hummus with olives comes with easy to follow instructions.
Ingredients For Simple Hummus
- Canned Chickpeas (garbanzo beans).
- Tahini (Sesame Paste).
- Juice of one lemon.
- Olive Oil
- Olives, I use Kalamata Olives
- Chile Oil (optional)
- Olives: This hummus with olives calls for Kalamata Olives. With their sweet and fruity flavor, they’re a nice compliment to homemade hummus. Substitute any kind of olives for this recipe. Black olive hummus would also be good using ripe olives. Green olives are also a good choice. Green olives come stuffed with garlic or jalapeno for a fun topping for hummus.
Step By Step Instructions, It’s Easy!
How to make hummus in food processor.
- Step 1: Using a colander, drain liquid from the garbanzo beans. Place the colander in a bowl to reserve some liquid. You’ll need at least 6 tablespoons of the canned liquid.
- Step 2: Place the peeled whole garlic in a food processor and give it a couple of whirls to chop.
- Step 3: Add garbanzo beans, tahini, lemon juice, olive oil and six tablespoons of the reserved liquid from the beans.
- Step 4: Blend the ingredients until very smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste, and add more of the canned garbanzo bean liquid if you want the hummus to be smoother and creamier.
What To Serve With Hummus
To serve, place hummus in your favorite serving bowl and drizzle with a little of the chile oil. Top with Kalamata olives and crumbled feta cheese. Serve with grilled pita wedges.
Here are some suggestions for fresh vegetables and more to serve with hummus with olives.
- Baby carrots.
- Cauliflower florets.
- Bell pepper slices.
- Pita Chips.
- Sugar snap peas.
How To Grill Pita Bread
Brush each side of the pita bread with olive oil. Place pita bread on a 350 – 400 degree hot grill. Grill for about 1 minute per side.
Watching it closely so it doesn’t burn. You only want to get it nice and toasty with visible grill marks. The grilled pita bread should be soft on the inside with a little crunch on the outside.
Cut it into wedges and serve immediately.
Yes, and I have done so many times. You’ll need to soak 1 cup of dried chickpeas overnight with enough water to cover by two inches. Drain the chickpeas the next morning and replace the water. Add about a tablespoon of salt to the chickpeas and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until crunchy tender. Depending on the age of the chickpeas, this could take anywhere from 90 minutes to 2 hours. Fresher dried chickpeas cook quicker.
Hummus with Olives and Grilled Pita
I hope you give this hummus with olives a try. Olive hummus is simply flat out delicious. And keep in mind, hummus is a healthy snack option, and is naturally gluten free.
Hummus with Olives and Grilled Pita
- 1 large clove garlic
- 2-15 ounce cans chickpeas drained, liquid reserved
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/3 cup tahini sesame paste
- 1 lemon freshly squeezed lemon juice 1 lemon
- 6 tablespoons water or liquid from the chickpeas
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil
- 1/2 Cup Feta Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Assorted Kalamata Olives
- 1 Tablespoon chile oil
- Turn on the food processor fitted with the steel blade and drop in the garlic. Give it a couple of whirls until the garlic is chopped.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (through olive oil) to the food processor and process until the hummus is pureed. Taste, for seasoning.
- Pour mixture into a bowl and fold in Feta cheese and olives. Drizzle with chile oil. chile oil. Top with additional feta and olives. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to three days in the fridge. Serve with warm or grilled pita wedges.
- Adjust seasonings and add more reserved chickpea liquid if you want a smoother texture.
- Brush each side of the pita bread with olive oil. Place pita bread on a 350 – 400 degree hot grill. Grill for about 1 minute per side. Watching it closely so it doesn't burn. You only want to get it nice and toasty with visible grill marks. Cut it into wedges and serve immediately.
Hummus with Olives and Grilled Pita …It’s What’s for an Appetizer.
More Homemade Hummus Recipes
And, don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter for more delicious recipes and cooking tips. Make it a delicious day … every day.
If you’ve tried this or any other recipe on my website, please leave a star rating in the recipe card below. And write a review in the comment section. I always appreciate your feedback.
This recipe was first published June of 2013 and republished May of 2022 with step by step instructions.