We all met up over at Tom and Kathy’s house for a typical Highlands Ranch All-American backyard BBQ. As predicted there were a couple of non-typical culinary highlights that merit mention.
If you’re looking for backyard BBQ menu ideas, hopefully this post will help you out.
Honorable mention goes to the Caprese Skewers. Ever since Tom and Kathy returned from a vacation in Italy a couple of years ago, Kathy has been the Caprese Queen. She served her latest creation; a head of cabbage cut in half and placed flat side down on a silver platter to cleverly display the wood skewers of cherry tomatoes, fresh mozzarella balls and basil leaves. The balsamic vinegar was in a bowl on the side for dipping.
First prize also goes to Kathy for her consistently delicious Jalapeno Bacon Shrimp appetizer. We all agree we could eat these things every day, every meal. I’ve made them and they’re easy, just a little time consuming to assemble, but well worth the effort.
- 24 medium shrimp — shelled, deveined
- ⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
- 24 wood toothpicks
- 12 slices bacon
- 24 pickled jalapeno slices
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbs chili sauce
- 1 Tbs sweet pickle relish
- 1 Tbs minced red pepper
- Place shrimp and balsamic vinegar in a large resealable plastic bag. Refrigerate for about 15 min. Soak toothpicks in water while shrimp is marinating. Cut bacon in half, crosswise. Remove shrimp from marinade, reserving marinade. Put 1 piece of bacon on work surface, place on shrimp at the end, place one slice of jalapeno in the crook of the shrimp, roll and secure with toothpick.
- Stir together mayo, chili sauce, pickle relish, red pepper and 1 T. water. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Broil shrimp brushing with marinade 2-3 minutes. Turn, marinade again and cook another 2-3 min.
Below you’ll find a perfectly dipped Jalapeno Bacon Shrimp – AWESOME
We can’t ignore Kathy’s Beef Kabobs. Delicious. Her marinade fantastic. I’ve got to get the recipe and will share when I do.
Check out the Mourning Dove. This little bird has chosen for her nest, a planter mounted on the side of the house, right next the sliding glass doors that lead to the deck where we were having our party! She didn’t seem to mind all the grilling and party activities that were taking place right next to her. Amazing.
The evening concluded with an ice cream cake to unofficially celebrate Brian’s birthday. Brian and Melanie were in Rome on his official birthday. Kathy served it with some delicious ice cold Limoncello. I don’t know why I didn’t take a picture, the bottle of Limoncello looked so deliciously frosty just out of the freezer.
Below you’ll find a gallery of attendees.