White bean salad with bacon gets a beautiful splash of flavor dressed with a warm maple syrup vinaigrette. Bold, tangy this salad recipe is served warm by quickly heating canned white beans and the vinaigrette in the the microwave. A super easy side salad recipe yet hearty enough for a light main course salad. This recipe will wow the palate.
Sweet and Salty, A Match Made in Heaven
Do you love dragging a fork full of breakfast sausage or a slice of bacon through that puddle of maple syrup that’s dripped off that stack of breakfast pancakes? The sweet and salty flavor combination is intoxicating. Imagine that same sensation in this white bean salad with bacon. Dripping in a warm maple syrup dressing, you won’t even miss the pancakes.
Why This White Bean Salad Recipe Works
But it’s also hearty enough for a light Summer Meal. Let’s take a look.
- The warm maple syrup dressing melts into salad greens and turns the beans into royalty. After all maple syrup is a natural partner for the bacon.
- There are five pieces of bacon in this white bean salad recipe. That means a crunch of salty bacon flavor in each and every bite.
- A combination of sweet and salty is always a treat for the taste buds.
- The green onions add a nice touch to the flavor and the red bell pepper a crisp splash of color.
- The Texture: Creamy white beans, crisp vegetables, and crunchy bacon.
This white bean salad recipe comes together in a snap, let’s get started.
How To Make White Bean Salad with Maple Syrup Vinaigrette
- Cook the Bacon Grab your favorite fry pan and cook the bacon until the fat has rendered and it’s nice and crispy. Using kitchen shears, cut the bacon into bits and set aside.
- Make The Maple Syrup Vinaigrette Combine Maple Syrup, cider vinegar, olive oil, Dijon Mustard, salt and pepper in a microwave safe bowl. Stir with a whisk and microwave on high for 1 minute. Set aside
- Warm The White Beans I like to use a 2 quart Pyrex measuring cup for this step. Just open the can of beans, drain and rinse them and place them in the Pyrex. Heat for 1 minute or until beans are nice and warm.
- Grab your favorite salad bowl Place your favorite greens, spinach or arugula works well here, in your favorite salad bowl.
- Add crisp and color Sprinkle in the chopped red bell pepper and sliced green onions. Sprinkle on the bacon.
- Dress and serve Add the warm beans and warm maple syrup vinaigrette to the salad. Toss a bit and serve.
What Kind Of White Beans To Use In this Salad?
The white bean salad recipe calls for Great Northern White Beans. But any type of white beans will work. I do recommend using white beans over a darker colored bean to keep that nice color combination for presentation reasons.
- Canned Navy Beans. Navy beans are a bit smaller in size that other white beans. Oval and a little flatter in shape.
- Canned Great Northern Beans. Are Great Northern Beans and Navy Beans the same thing? No. Great Northern Beans are larger, plumper and have thicker skins.
- Butter Beans. We’re big fans of butter beans around here. Butter beans are simply lima beans that are white because they’ve matured, have been dried and have turned from green to beige or white.
Which ever canned white bean you choose for this salad, all with come with subtle and mild flavor. Perfect for soaking up the flavors in the maple syrup dressing and a creamy compliment to that crispy salty bacon.
How do you add flavor to white beans?
Try them in this salad.
Combine canned white beans with smoky salty chunks of crispy bacon and a sweet tangy Maple Syrup Vinaigrette.
Add some crisp and colorful chunks of sweet red bell pepper and slices of fresh sweet green onions and you’ve got a flavor combination that simply addictive. You’re really going to enjoy this white bean salad.
Recipe for White Bean Salad with Maple Syrup Dressing
I hope you give this salad recipe a try and if you do, please come back and give the recipe a star rating. And leave a message about your experience with the recipe.
And if you have a favorite white bean salad recipe, let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
More Recipes with Canned White Beans
- Seared Salmon with White Bean Ragout Canned white beans partner with carrot, celery, shallot and garlic to compliment seared salmon.
- Roasted Shrimp Salad with Avocado and Canned White Beans, Simple to prepare, tossed with a light dressing, this one screams Summer.
Looking for more side salad recipes? Don’t miss my Salad Category. You’ll find lots of great salad recipes and vinaigrettes, including the most popular salad recipe on my site for my Taco Salad Recipe.
And if you want to become a salad expert, take a look at my 9 Secrets To A Remarkable Tossed Salad. Serve salads that taste just as fresh, crisp and fabulous as ones that are served in your favorite upscale restaurant.
White Bean Salad with Bacon and Maple Syrup Dressing
- 1/2 Cup green onions sliced
- 1/2 Cup red bell pepper chopped
- 5 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 14 oz spinach or mixed spinach and super greens combo
- 1 can Great Northern beans drained
- For The Maple Syrup Dressing
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 3 Tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Chop the red bell pepper and slice the green onions, set aside.
- Fry the bacon in a fry pan until fat is rendered and bacon is crispy. Drain on paper towels. Using kitchen shears, cut the bacon into bite sized pieces. Set aside.
- For the Maple Syrup Dressing
- Combine maple syrup, cider vinegar, olive oil, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper in a small microwave safe bowl. Stir with a whisk and microwave at high 1 minute or until hot.
- Place drained and rinsed canned white beans in a 2 quart pyrex measuring bowl. Microwave until hot, one minute.
- Combine onions, bell pepper, bacon and greens in a large bowl. Add syrup mixture and beans. Toss well to combine. Serve immediately.
White Bean Salad with Bacon and Maple Syrup Vinaigrette – It’s What’s For Dinner.