Grilled Chicken Skewers with Tomatillos. There’s a surprise in every bite of these beautiful chicken kabobs. Predictable with zucchini and onion, and made special with a unique vinaigrette and zesty tomatillos. This grilled chicken skewer recipe will be a hit for your next cook-out.
We’ve been having beautiful weather here in Denver, so can’t get enough of grill time. And what a great combination for grilled chicken skewers. Predictable with onions and chunks of zucchini, the surprise in this skewer is a tart bite of tomatillo and a luscious mint vinaigrette
What Are Tomatillos?
New to cooking with tomatillos? And just what are they?
Tomatillos are little fruits. Yes, just like tomatoes.
Tomatillos are native to Mexico and are sometimes called husk tomatoes due to the leafy husk that wraps around the fruit.
They look like a small green tomato, but they’re not. They’re a beautiful bright green, acidic and not sweet like a tomato. But come with a tart flavor.
Tomatillos work their wonders in salsa when roasted. Or you can chop them fresh and add to salsa for a tangy experience.
Tomatillos are a wonderful compliment for chicken dishes like this one Crispy Chicken Thighs in Tomatillo Wine Sauce. = yes!
Overall, tomatillos are definitely an item you need in your Southwestern, Mexican pantry.
Mint Vinaigrette Recipe
This recipe comes together nicely dressed with a mint vinaigrette made with red wine vinegar and parsley. Not only does it compliment the smoky flavor of the grilled chicken but is beautiful for those tangy tomatillos.
Served over beautiful mixed greens and sprinkled with salty feta this is a healthy meal and a beautiful flavor combination. And one that’s ready in a jiff. It doesn’t get any better than that.
This actually has been our go-to easy Summer chicken grilling recipe. It’s just that easy and that delicious.
Recipe for Grilled Chicken Skewers with Tomatillos and Mint Vinaigrette
I hope you give these grilled chicken skewers recipe a try. And if you do, please come back and let me know how you liked it and give the recipe a star rating. Your feedback is valuable to me for developing future recipes.
And if you have a favorite Southwestern grilled chicken skewer recipe, let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
Don’t forget to pour a nice glass of wine. Always a sucker for Oregon wine, we enjoyed these with a tasty Oregon A to Z Pinot Gris .
Looking to fill your Summer dinners with chicken kabobs? You might like:
- Ancho Chile Lime Chicken Kabobs
- Maple Glazed Grilled Chicken Kabobs
- Chicken Thigh Kabobs with Chile Yogurt Sauce
- Hawaiian Chicken Kabobs
Grilled Chicken Skewers with Tomatillos and Mint Vinaigrette
- 1 pound chicken thighs boneless, skinless
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1 large red onion cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 small tomatillos about 1/2 pound, halved
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons mint chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 ounce crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat grill. Peel and rinse tomatillo and prepare other vegetables and chicken. On four 14-inch-long metal skewers, tightly thread the chicken, zucchini, red onion and tomatillos in an alternating pattern. Brush the skewers with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill the skewers over a medium-hot fire, turning frequently, until the chicken is just cooked through and the vegetables are lightly charred and barely tender, about 6 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the mint, parsley, garlic, vinegar and the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil; season with salt and pepper.
- Serve over mixed greens. Spoon the vinaigrette on top, sprinkle with feta.
Grilled Chicken Skewers with Tomatillos and Mint Vinaigrette …It’s What’s For Dinner
Looking for more recipes using tomatillos?
Love that Southwestern green chile and Chicken combo. You won’t want to miss: