This Mexican classic, Chicken Escabeche is exciting, seductive and exotic. The sweetness of caramelized onions and the fireworks of jalapeno pepper strikes an immediate chord with your love for Mexican food.
What is Escabeche and How Do You Pronounce It?
“What is escabeche?” Escabeche (es-kah-BECH-ay) is a classic Spanish recipe in which you sear meat or fish, then marinate it in a vinegary sauce loaded with herbs and spices and serve it cold or at room temperature on a hot day. I’ve made this dish many times and have always served it hot, and for dinner.
But if you’re looking for a picnic chicken meal, this just might be the ticket.
In the business world, you were always coached to “dress for the job you want, not for the job you have”, why not carry that sentiment into your culinary plans. Cook for the season you want, not for the season you have.” Works for me.
Consider this is a relatively easy dinner for your chicken meal plans this week.
Once the chicken is browned stove-top, it cooks in a bath of caramelized onions, carrots and jalapeno, vinegar and spices.
And without even noticing you’ve also just served up a very healthy chicken dinner.
Which is exactly why Chicken Escabeche landed on our table after a gluten of sinful Super Bowl food and leftovers that lasted way too many days.
I’ve had my fill of Dr. Pepper Pulled Pork Sliders and cocktail wieners in Bourbon BBQ Sauce. This fresh, clean Mexican chicken dinner was a site for sore eyes this week.
And the whole thing is a one pot meal …you know less clean up. Note that there are some fried roasted potatoes that I served as a side dish. We thought they were a perfect accompaniment for the full-flavored Mexican chicken and vegetables.
And doesn’t it all look beautiful served on that Cherry Red Le Creuset platter? Affiliate Link provided for your convenience.
I’m sure it comes to no surprise that this is a tried and true Rick Bayless Recipe. I hope you give it a try.
More Mexican Chicken Dinner Recipes
- Arroz con Pollo, An easy one pan Mexican chicken and rice recipe that you’ll fall in love with.
- Chicken Zarape, Drenched in a sweet and spicy Chipotle Cream Sauce, this one pan cast iron chicken breast recipe, makes an easy, no fuss, chicken dinner that presents itself a bit on the fancy side.
- Casa Grande Mexican Chicken Salad, Features a very special sweet spicy dressing and a great line-up of ingredients that will have you asking for seconds.
- Green Chile Chicken Lasagna, Layers of lasagna noodles with lean shredded chicken breast, cheese and a luscious green chile white sauce. This Green Chile Chicken Lasagna is a totally irresistible.
Chicken in Tangy Escabeche
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano preferably Mexican
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 chicken breast halves bones and skins intact, about 2 pounds
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- 1 large white onion cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 large carrots peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick on a diagonal
- 4 garlic cloves peeled and halved
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 to 4 canned pickled jalapenos stemmed, seeded and thinly sliced [Note: I used pre-sliced pickled jalapenos]
- 1 cup chicken broth
- In a small bowl, combine the black pepper, allspice, oregano and salt. Sprinkle half of this mixture over the chicken breasts.
- Heat the oil in a very large (12-inch) skillet over medium heat. Lay in the chicken, skin side down, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, turning once, until richly browned. Remove the chicken to a plate, leaving behind as much oil as possible.
- Add the sliced onion and carrots to the skillet and cook, stirring regularly, until the onion is browned, abut 7 minutes. Add the garlic and stir for about 1 minute, then add the remaining seasoning mixture, the vinegar, jalapenos and broth.
- Nestle the chicken pieces skin side up in the onion mixture, cover the skillet (a cookie sheet works if your skillet doesn’t have a lid) and simmer gently over a medium-low heat until the chicken is just cooked through, about 15 minutes. Taste the broth and season with additional salt if you think it’s needed. Transfer a piece of chicken to each dinner plate, spooning a generous portion of the juicy vegetable mixture over the top.