This hearty and easy vegetable chicken chowder lives up to its name. It’s easy and it’s cheesy. And your family will love this hearty vegetable and chicken-packed soup. Once you’ve completed the chopping and quick cook on the stovetop and it’s ready in around thirty minutes.
Don’t you love finding a soup recipe that will have your family asking for seconds? A good hearty entree -style soup that is satisfying, stick-to-your-ribs good?
This chicken chowder recipe is one that I could eat in the middle of a Summer heat wave, or on a cozy Winter evening. It’s that good! With tender chunks of chicken breast, bite sized pieces of potatoes, fresh broccoli and “chowderized ” with sweet corn, its made creamy using cream of potato soup, milk and cheese.
It’s a combination of your favorite broccoli cheese soup and chowder soup recipes.
This Chicken Chowder is Just this Easy
Always gather your ingredients before cooking any recipe. Once you’ve chopped the veggies, grab your Dutch oven and go to work:
- Melt Butter
- Add Onions
- Add chopped potatoes and water
- Add broccoli florets and corn
- Season with thyme
- and finish it up by adding cooked chicken breast (rotisserie chicken works well here) , cream of potato soup and cheddar cheese. And speaking of rotisserie chicken, take a look at this article from Taste of Home, Who Has The Best Grocery Store Rotisserie Chicken. I happen to agree with their #1 choice. How about you?
Grab those soup bows and dig in.
Recipe for Cheesy Vegetable Chicken Chowder
Who can resist a creamy soup of chicken, cheese and potatoes. Adding broccoli brings some color and corn brings that official chowder goodness.
I hope you give this chicken chowder recipe a try, and if you do, please come back and give the recipe a star rating. And leave a comment about your experience with this recipe.
And if you have a favorite chicken chowder, or vegetable chowder recipe, let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
More Easy Chicken Soup Recipes
- Instant Pot Mexican Chicken Soup
- Ranch Style Cheesy Cream of Chicken Soup
- Easy Chipotle Chicken Soup
- Creamy Crock pot Chicken Wild Rice Soup
This hearty and easy vegetable chicken chowder lives up to its name. It's easy and it's cheesy. And your family will love this hearty vegetable and chicken-packed soup. Once you've completed the chopping and quick cook on the stovetop and it's ready in around thirty minutes.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1 large potato chopped 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 cup corn frozen
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups milk
- 2 chicken breast halves cubed
- 10 1/2 ounce can condensed cream of potato soup
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese shredded, for topping/garnish
Heat a large saucepan or Dutch Oven over medium high heat. When butter has melted, add onion. Cook until soft, about 3 minutes.
Add chopped potato and water. Bring to a low boil and cook potatoes for 5 minutes. Add broccoli, corn, cubed chicken and thyme. (add raw chicken now if using cooked chicken, add in next step) Reduce heat and simmer covered, for 10 minutes, or until all vegetables are tender and chicken is cooked through. Do not drain.
If you're using chicken from a rotisserie chicken, or pre-cooked chicken breast, add the chicken now. Stir in milk, potato soup, pepper and 1 cup of the cheddar cheese.
Cook and stir over medium heat until cheese is melted and soup is heated through. Serve in shallow soup bowls (for appearance, so vegetables and chicken won't sink to the bottom) and sprinkle remaining cheese over each serving.
It's important to chop the potatoes into roughly 1/2 inch cubes. This will help them cook quicker.