Hearty Southwestern Chicken Soup. Ground Chicken Breast, Hatch Chile and Muenster Cheese come together for this hearty crowd pleasing soup. Easy for your weeknight meal planning.
Our non-stop craving for soup continues. We’re currently living in typical Colorado January weather. Which means a Wintery mix of cold, snow, grey but with a smattering of a few beautiful sunshine days to remind us that Spring is only 6 Mondays away.
Soup is the “right” thing to eat this time of year and as I write this, I’m reviewing how our lives have been overtaken by brothy, creamy, hearty creations.
“This” is an exceptional Southwestern chicken soup recipe that’s not only easy, but wonderful in flavor. If you’re soup people like us, I’d recommend this one.
What’s so Special About this Cheesy Creamy Hearty Soup?
Besides the creamy cheesy “thing”. This recipe uses ground chicken meat. You can either purchase ground chicken breast at the store, or grind it yourself.
It’s easy if you own a food processor. Just cut chicken breasts into large chunks and put it in your food processor. Secure the lid and then pulse to grind.
You’ll save a bit of money that way. Remember that every convenience that your local butcher provides adds a few dollars and cents to the price.
This soup is everything you’d expect with a cream of chicken soup but with the addition of bell pepper, tomato, and chile peppers.
And how about some Muenster cheese for that extra kick of creamy. Muenster cheese is beautiful for melting. Give it a try.
Don’t forget the cilantro for garnish.
Recipe for Southwestern Chicken Soup
I hope you give this spicy creamy Southwestern chicken soup recipe a try. And if you do, please come back and let me know how you liked it and give the recipe a star rating.
Your feedback is valuable to me for developing future recipes. And if you have a favorite cream of chicken soup recipe, let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
More Chicken Soup Recipes
- Smoky Bacon Chicken Chile Soup
- Instant Pot Mexican Chicken Soup Recipe
- Easy Chipotle Chicken Soup
- Chicken Fajita Soup
And if you’re looking for more soup recipes, don’t miss my soup category. You’ll find lots of ideas, including the most popular soup recipe on my site for Anthony Bourdain’s New Mexico Style Beef Chili.
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 yellow or orange bell pepper chopped
- 1 10 3/4 ounce condensed cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups milk
- 3 ounce Hatch chile or Jalapeno chile roasted and chopped (or 1-4 can chiles)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 14- ounce can diced tomatoes undrained
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 cup muenster cheese
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Add ground chicken, chopped onion and bell pepper. Cook until chicken is mostly done and vegetables are tender. Add soup and milk and mix well.
- Add chiles, garlic powder, corn and tomatoes. Simmer for about 15 minutes to blend flavors. Add cheese and stir until melted.
- Serve immediately and sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
Southwestern Chicken Soup … It’s what’s for Dinner.
Love those “Cream of” soups? How about this one: