This recipe for homemade banana ice cream becomes even more decadent by caramelizing bananas in the oven before adding to the ice cream mixture. The delicious banana flavor shines and is complimented with the sweetness from brown sugar and cinnamon.
Homemade banana ice cream is just the type of dessert that will please everyone at the table. Even those picky eaters.
This banana ice cream recipe is the real deal. Using pure ingredients, eggs, cream, milk and vanilla, you’ve go a classic custard style ice cream from scratch that will simply delight your family.
Custard style ice cream is made where milk is heated stove top and then slowly added to an egg sugar combination to temper. To temper means to slowly combine as to not scramble or cook the eggs.
Cream is then added to the tempered mix
The mixture is then refrigerated overnight to allow it to expand.
In all reality, you’re making frozen custard dessert.
I’ve been wanting to make homemade banana ice cream as I used to love getting banana milkshakes from the Dolly Madison Store. Man they’re the best. Anyone had ’em?
Love banana ice cream? You won’t want to miss my Brown Sugar Banana Milkshake Recipe
Everyone loves a good custard ice cream recipe. Let’s get started.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Ripe Bananas.
- Dairy: Cream, milk, eggs and butter.
- Brown Sugar
Tip: For this homemade banana ice cream recipe you’ll need ripe bananas. Don’t use bananas that have blackened, like you would for Banana bread. You’ll need them soft to the touch but still firm enough to be able to slice.
Step by Step Instructions
- Slowly heat milk in a sauce pan on medium low heat. Do not let it boil, just get it nice and steamy.
- Meanwhile, whisk sugar and eggs together in a bowl.
- When milk is hot, slowly…and I mean slow as you can…drizzle some of the milk into the sugar/egg mixture.
- Stir to combine the tempered egg and milk together.
- Pour the tempered eggs and milk mixture into the pan of hot milk, stir until well blended.
- Heat until thickened, stirring constantly until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Remove from heat and when it reaches room temperature add the cream and vanilla. Refrigerate overnight so that the mixture volumizes. Do not short cut this step.
- Step 1: How to caramelize bananas. It’s super easy. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- On a foil lined pan place the sliced bananas and sprinkle with sugar, cinnamon and drizzle with the butter.
- Step 2: Bake for 20 minutes.
- Step 3: Let mixture cool then puree in a food processor.
Tip: Don’t wait too long to transfer the caramelized bananas to the food processor. If allowed to cool too much, the brown sugar will start to harden.
When completely cooled, add the pureed bananas to the volumized ice cream mixture and churn according to your ice cream maker’s instructions.
Tip: As with most home ice cream makers, the final consistency of the ice cream will resemble soft serve. Place in the freezer for a couple of hours to achieve a texture to scoop.
- Add some chocolate chips. Purchase some good quality semi-sweet chocolate and chop it into small pieces. About half way through the churning process, drop in the chocolate pieces.
- To make peanut butter banana ice cream, add 3 tablespoons chunky or creamy peanut butter during the churning process.
Store in an air tight, freezer friendly container. This banana ice cream will last a month in the freezer.
Homemade Banana Ice Cream
I hope you give this frozen custard style homemade banana ice cream recipe a try. It’s crazy delicious and one of the best homemade ice cream recipes I’ve ever made.
If you’ve tried this or any other recipe on my website, please leave a star rating in the recipe card below. And write a review in the comment section. I always appreciate your feedback.
And, don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter for more delicious recipes and cooking tips. Make it a delicious day … every day.
Homemade Banana Ice Cream with Caramelized Bananas
- 1 Cup whole milk
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cup heavy cream
- For the Bananas:
- 4 ripe bananas sliced into 1/2 – 1 inch segments
- 1/4 Cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon butter melted
- Slowly heat milk in a sauce pan on medium low heat. Do not let it boil, just get it nice and steamy. Meanwhile, whisk sugar and eggs together in a bowl. When milk is hot, slowly…and I mean slow as you can…drizzle some of the milk into the sugar/egg mixture, stirring constantly.
- Pour the milk, eggs and sugar mixture back into the sauce pan and heat on low until thickened, again stirring constantly. It should reach the consistency of liquid pudding.
- Remove from heat and when it reaches room temperature add the cream and vanilla and stir. Refrigerate covered overnight so that the mixture volumizes. Do not short cut this step.
- For the bananas:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. On a foil lined pan place the sliced bananas and sprinkle with sugar, cinnamon and drizzle with the butter. Bake for 20 minutes. Let mixture cool then puree in a food processor.
- When completely cooled, add the caramelized bananas to the ice cream mixture and stir to combine. Churn according to your ice cream maker's instructions.
Homemade Banana Ice Cream with Caramelized Bananas …It’s What’s For Dessert