Roasting strawberries in balsamic vinegar and sugar gives this such an adult feel featuring a caramelized syrupy decadent end result flavor. Give Balsamic Roaster Strawberry Ice Cream a try. It’s fabulous.
July is National Ice Cream month, so I better squeeze in a homemade recipe before month end.
But first…am I the only one that has issues on the ice cream aisle at the grocery store? Even my modest Safeway carries more flavors than my attention span can handle.
And the process while trying to make a selection takes me through a range of emotions. It starts with excitement, turns to overwhelmed and then defeat. Not to mention the paranoia that store cameras have shifted my direction due to my physical inactivity.
Luckily my favorite flavor is vanilla, so when I can’t decide between Chocolate Ice Cream with Fudge Brownies or Banana and Strawberry with Walnuts or Oreo Chunks with Raspberry Swirl, I can always reach for the nearest tub sporting a vanilla bean illustration.
With so much to chose from, why even make it at home? Well, until you’ve tried a custard based homemade ice cream you’ve not lived.
Cream that’s been scorched on the stovetop is added to beaten egg yolks to temper. Stir in vanilla. Refrigerate overnight so it “does its thing”. The next day add your extra flavorings and ingredients and churn up a delicious creamy treat. That’s incredible ice cream.
My friend and fellow Denver food blogger, Holly over at A Baker’s House recently posted a recipe for Balsamic Roasted Strawberry Ice Cream. The savory aspect of this had me pinning the recipe and running to the store for strawberries. Plus, I was anxious to try this creamy version which is not a custard based recipe.
Incredible flavors here. Roasting the strawberries in balsamic vinegar and sugar gives this such an adult feel featuring a caramelized syrupy decadent end result flavor.
We could not stop eating this creamy sweet and savory ice cream.
So get out that ice cream maker before you’re asking yourself where the Summer has gone. This is an easy and impressive recipe to make at home. Thank you Holly for a great recipe.
The words strawberries and dessert go hand in hand when it comes to desserts. Don’t miss my latest strawberry dessert recipe, Strawberry Tart Recipe with Cream Cheese Filling. It’s one of those omg things. 🙂
Balsamic Roasted Strawberry Ice Cream
- ice cream base:
- 1 1/3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 cup half and half
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Cups Strawberries cleaned and cut into quarters
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Roasted strawberries:
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Toss 2 cups strawberries (cleaned and cut into quarters) with 1 Tablespoon sugar and 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar. Roast in a 9 x 13 pan or a baking pan lined with aluminum foil for 18-22 minutes. Let cool completely before combining with the base.
- Chill the base ingredients then combine and stir in a large bowl. Fold in the cooled strawberries. Pour into the ice cream machine and process for 18-20 minutes. Transfer the almost frozen ice cream into a container and freeze for at least 4 hours.
Balsamic Roasted Strawberry Ice Cream …It’s What’s for a Summer Dessert.