This is a recipe for Ina Garten’s Macaroni and Cheese with Tomatoes. A decadent, creamy version of our favorite comfort food. A little sweet and tart from the tomatoes = Delicious.
Here’s what I know for sure at this moment. If you could eat happiness, it would be Mac and Cheese. And if Ina is involved in a recipe, you know it’s going to be delicious and reliable.
You know you’re old when the first colander you ever bought is now considered to be “vintage”. Yup, just the other day I saw one in an antique store for about $50. Back when I bought it, it was probably under $10.
Making enough for an army, this was baked in my 7 quart Le Creuset Dutch Oven
Since I’ve been craving macaroni and cheese for about a year now, my selection was easy. Ina Gartin’s recipe for Macaroni and Cheese with Tomatoes. I used Gruyere and sharp cheddar. With milk, flour and butter that creates the sauce, this is a decadent creamy pasta dish. I love the tart and sweet flavor that the topping of tomatoes bring to the overall flavor…and a crunchy topping of buttered bread crumbs that toast while baking makes this is a keeper. Let’s take a look at what I did:
Recipe for Ina Garten’s Macaroni and Cheese with Tomatoes
I hope you give this macaroni and cheese with tomatoes recipe a try. And if you do, please come back and let me know how you liked it and give the recipe a star rating.
Your feedback is valuable to me for developing future recipes. And if you have a favorite Mac and cheese recipe, let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
This is a recipe for Ina Garten's Macaroni and Cheese with Tomatoes. A decadent, creamy version of our favorite comfort food. A little sweet and tart from the tomatoes = Delicious.
- Kosher salt
- Vegetable oil
- 1 pound elbow macaroni or cavatappi
- 1 quart milk
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter divided, 1 stick
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 12 ounces Gruyere grated (4 cups)
- 8 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar grated (2 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 pound fresh tomatoes 4 small
- 1 1/2 cups fresh white bread crumbs (5 slices crusts removed)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Drizzle oil into a large pot of boiling salted water. Add the macaroni and cook according to the directions on the package, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, heat the milk in a small saucepan, but don't boil it. Melt 6 tablespoons of butter in a large (4-quart) pot and add the flour. Cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring with a whisk. While whisking, add the hot milk and cook for a minute or two more, until thickened and smooth. Off the heat, add the Gruyere, Cheddar, 1 tablespoon salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Add the cooked macaroni and stir well. Pour into a 3-quart baking dish.
- Slice the tomatoes and arrange on top. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, combine them with the fresh bread crumbs, and sprinkle on the top. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the macaroni is browned on the top.
Looking for more creamy Mac and Cheese Recipes? How about:
Ina Garten’s Macaroni and Cheese with Tomatoes …It’s What’s for Dinners.