Looking for a beer mac and cheese recipe? This stove top mac and cheese gets a make over with Mexican Beer and a Spicy Red Chile Buttermilk Ranch Sauce. Crisp and complex in flavor, you won’t believe your tastebuds. Beer mac and cheese – give it a try.
I actually do know someone who doesn’t like Mac and Cheese! You? I think most of us can agree that Mac and Cheese is glorious. I’ll take it from that blue box, or homemade with a creamy bechamel sauce. Loaded up with Hatch Chile? You bet. Made with Swiss Cheese, you bet. Steak House Chipotle, heavenly. But made with beer?
I simply could not resist trying this Spicy Beer Mac and Cheese.
Using Modelo Especial Mexican Beer to flavor the cheese sauce is genius. It’s crisp flavor blends wonderfully with the sharp cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses.
The addition of Red Chile Buttermilk Dressing kicks mac and cheese up even another notch. Absolutely delicious.
Ingredients You’ll Need
This beer mac and cheese recipe combines the standard procedure for creating a creamy cheese sauce, but then takes on a whole new life with the addition of beer and buttermilk ranch dressing. Leading actors include:
- Macaroni. Elbow or shell is always best for macaroni and cheese. All of those pockets grab on to that creamy cheese.
- Flour. Essential part of the roux that thickens cheese sauce.
- Butter. Salted or unsalted. Use what you like best.
- Mexican Beer. Modelo Especial, a Mexican Lager works very well here. Crisp and refreshing.
- Buttermilk Ranch Dressing (preferably with a pinch of chile powder) Who can argue with an extra layer of creaminess? It also brings a tangy note to the overall flavor.
- Pasta Water: Don’t toss that pasta water down the drain. Always save out a cup or so for your mac and cheese sauce. The water is full of starch and help make that sauce even creamier.
- Cheddar Cheese. I like to use a medium cheddar, but using a sharp cheddar will enhance the flavor to a stronger note.
- Monterey Jack Cheese. White and creamy. I always like Monterey Jack for macaroni and cheese. It’s a great melting cheese. Another choice would be Muenster Cheese.
End result? A creamy beautiful bowl of macaroni and cheese unique with a crisp Mexican Beer and spicy with with Red Chile Buttermilk Dressing.
If you don’t want to make homemade dressing, just purchase your favorite Buttermilk Ranch Dressing and sprinkle in some New Mexico Chile Powder of Ancho Chile Powder. Voila.
Recipe for Beer Mac and Cheese
I hope you give this beer mac and cheese recipe a try. And if you do, please come back and let me know how you liked it and give the recipe a star rating.
Your feedback is valuable to me for developing future recipes. And if you have a favorite stove top homemade macaroni and cheese recipe, let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
More Mac and Cheese Recipes
- Macaroni and Cheese with Tomatoes This is an Ina Garten recipe. A little sweet and tart from the tomatoes and super creamy with both Gruyere and sharp cheddar = Delicious.
- Mexican Macaroni and Cheese Throw in a Mexican twist for this feisty version of our favorite comfort food. The whole family will love this recipe. Easy and delicious and a perfect side dish for any Southwestern main course.
- Creamy Swiss and Mushroom Mac and Cheese An easy stovetop recipe made creamy with a luscious Swiss Cheese Sauce laced with mushrooms.
Love pasta dishes as much as we do here On The Ranch? Don’t miss my Pasta Category. You’ll find lots of great recipes, including the most popular pasta recipe on my site for Creamy Spicy Shrimp Pasta.
Beer Mac and Cheese
- 1 16 ounce package elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour Plus 1 TABLESPOON
- 1/2 cup Modelo Especial beer
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup reserved water from the cooked pasta
- 3/4 cup Red Chile Buttermilk Dressing.
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 6 ounces Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the pasta water. In the same pan, melt the butter and cook until bubbly. Add the flour and start stirring to form paste. Alternate adding the milk, beer, and pasta water. When smooth and creamy stir in the shredded cheeses and Red Chile Buttermilk Ranch Dressing. Add the pasta and stir until blended.
Beer Mac and Cheese … It’s what’s for a Side Dish