This post isn’t about Larry’s ribs or chicken wings (in the back ground), which were the best I’ve ever tasted…ever. This post is about the side dish that I served as for that BBQ meal. Potato Casserole with Bacon and Onion.
The night before our planned BBQ, while at at JaJa Bistro for dinner, I asked Larry if he had seen the potato recipe that Penny over at Lake Lure Cottage Kitchen had just posted. He replied yes, and said he was thinking about making it for the next evening’s planned BBQ, but didn’t want to step on my side dish toes. Great foodie minds think alike and I filled him in that I already had the ingredients I needed for those potatoes on my grocery list. Done.
These potatoes are flat out fabulous. Call it a potato cake, a potato casserole, or mashed potatoes…with bacon, butter, onion and Parmesan cheese, all topped with crushed Ritz Crackers, I call this incredible. Penny’s recipe instructs to use a potato ricer. I don’t have one, so just used a potato masher and added a little more milk to make the texture creamer. You’ll see a difference when you head over to Penny’s site to see her presentation.
Promise me you’ll give these a try:
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 6 slices bacon, chopped and cooked crisp
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 sleeve Ritz crackers, crushed
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cook potatoes in water to cover until tender. Drain. Place butter, cubed into a large bowl. Using a potato ricer, rice potatoes into bowl over butter. Add milk and mash together. When partially cool, add beaten egg.
- After bacon is cooked, place on paper towels. Discard all but about 3 tablespoons of bacon fat. Add onion and cook until onion is slightly browned. Add bacon, onion and Parmesan cheese to the potatoes and mix together.
- Place potato mixture into a greased casserole dish. Mix crushed crackers with melted butter and sprinkle over the top. Bake in 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until cracker crumbs are golden brown.
Potato Casserole with Bacon and Onion…It’s What’s for a Side Dish.
On this day..
- Orange-Chile Brownies, My Best Brownies Ever - 2011
- Roasted Pear with Blue Cheese Salad - 2010
- Sun Dried Tomato Pasta with Broccoli and Parmesan Cheese - 2009