Hatch Green Chile Burgers with Tequila Lime Seasoning

Green Chili and Tequila Lime Burger

It’s time to celebrate, Hatch Green Chile Peppers have arrived. The legend goes that in New Mexico green chile peppers go in everything: salsa, soup, salad, sidedishes and main dishes. And with my love of these green chiles, I’m already planning my first batch of Green Chile, some Hatch Mac n’ Cheese, and a Colorado Burrito. Once you start, it’s addicting and first up are these Hatch Green Chile Burgers with Tequila Lime Seasoning.

Chile Roasters at Whole Foods

Last weekend as I pulled into Whole Food’s parking lot, I was elated to see that big black roaster churning with aromatic Hatch chiles. I couldn’t wait to get my hands on a bag. Yesterday I bought a half bushel and have tidy little baggies full of roasted green chiles in the freezer to use all Winter long. You can purchase Hatch chile seeds and grow them anywhere, but I’m a purist and like to make sure my stash was grown in the Land of Enchantment. And this gringo buys them medium or hot. The flavor is outstanding. If you want you can remove the veins to calm down the heat, but the seeds are heatless.

Seasoning for southwestern burgers

The seasoning I used for the burgers, which I think is outstanding, comes from Bill Baron’s. I picked it up at Whole Foods.

making hatch green chili burgers

Baron’s website instructed to use 1 1/2 tablespoon per pound of beef. In a bowl I combined the seasoning, 80/20 grass fed ground beef, one teaspoon of olive oil and three chopped Hatch green chiles. For the chiles, I cut off the tops and scraped off most of the blackened skin. Leave a little bit of the charred pieces to add a smoky flavor to the burgers. Never, and I mean never, run peppers under the faucet.  You rinse away the smoky flavor.

Hatch Green Chili Burgers

I used three chiles for this recipe. One per burger, each burger being 1/3 pound. After grilling, I topped the burgers with a sliced Vidalia onion, sliced fresh tomatoes and a leaf of red leaf lettuce from my garden, and a smear of mayonnaise. These burgers were loaded with Southwestern flavor.  I hope you give them a try.

Hatch Green Chile Burgers with Tequila Lime Seasoning…It’s What’s for Dinner.

Comments

I wish I had known that I could buy these already roasted at Whole Foods– that sounds great! I just came home this morning with hatch chiles from Costco. I don’t remember seeing them there before but might have missed them. Love how you used them. This is my first try cooking with them, looking forward to it!

Gotta love green chiles, and the burger looks great! If anyone would prefer to support small local Colorado farmers and businesses rather than out-of-state corporations, we’re roasting fresh picked local green chiles at two different Tony’s Markets each weekend. 3 heat levels by the bushel, half bushel or freezer ready quarts. Get your green chile on!

“You can purchase Hatch chile seeds and grow them anywhere, but I’m a purist and like to make sure my stash was grown in the Land of Enchantment.” Good plan because while the same varieties of veggies can be grown in many places, they will be different. For example only the low sulfur soil around Vidalia,Ga can grow the real deal. When I saw your pepper post on Facebook, I knew a blog would be along shortly – the burgers look awesome. Coming to you from the black hills.

Exactly Larry. Bob thought I was crazy for making a point to ask if they were grown in the valley in NM. And good to hear from you. I’m enjoying following along on your trip.

Thanks Yvette. I’ve not done it for years, but we used to grill hot dogs and then drape them with Hatch chiles after putting them on the bun. omg

I’ve been reading so much about hatch green chiles lately but feel deprived that I’ve never seen nor eaten one of them! I’ll keep looking :)

Love that burger. Also I must comment on your gorgeous photos! Each one of your last five blog posts (all I’ve looked at so far) are beautiful.

You are talking about my kind of chile. I have a new found respect for the populace that worship Elway. At least the ones that like green chile. New Hatch New Mexico chiles are very special and we always look forward to them coming to the stores. Some day we will make a pilgrimage to New Hatch New Mexico to the festival.

You crack me up with this Elway thing. Too funny. I bought another half bushel yesterday and stockpiling like a squirrel. I’d love to go to that festival also.

As you know, the Hatch Chilies don’t make it up here as far as I know, but I grow an entire bed of Anaheim peppers and roast them on my grill for eating and freezing. In August, chilies go on everything up here, too, but I have never put them INSIDE burgers . . . that will be changing. Great idea!

Look at you rubbing your easy access to Hatch chiles! ;)

Those burgers and that rub sound stupendous, Lea Ann. That and a cold beer would make my Sunday afternoon.

Thanks for dropping by my kitchen. I dream of Whole Foods. Maybe someday one will come to El Paso. The nearest is Albuquerque, NM. I’ll be watching for your chile uses..
    I’m making chicken and chile Flautas next.

Wishes for tasty dishes.
    Linda

That burger looks awesome, Lee Ann. Nice use of the Hatch Chiles. This was my first year playing around with them and I really enjoyed them. Got a bunch frozen for use throughout the year. Thanks for stopping by my site.