Chicken Noodle Soup

Is there anything better than a steaming bowl of chicken and noodle soup on a cold evening?  Simple, delicious and rumored to heal the ailing,  this soup is comfort food at its best.

It’s not rocket science to throw a pot  together. No matter what you put in it, it’s going to be good, but I wanted to share with you my version that has evolved over the years. Seasoned just to our liking and with the addition of some sweet potato and fennel seed, it makes this one of our favorites.

It’s a must to use those fat and plump homemade noodles. You can also buy homestyle noodles from the freezer section that are close to homemade. Even though I love them for other dishes, I try not to use dried egg noodles from the packaged pasta aisle at the market.

Seems every one in our office has a cold, so I made a big crock pot of my Chicken Noodle Soup on Friday and delivered to my sniffling aching co-workers.  They commented that it sure is “handy” having me around.  :-)

Chicken Noodle Soup:

5 cups chicken stock
1 tsp dried sage
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 chopped carrots and 2 stalks celery chopped or 3 T. dried vegetable mix
3 green onions
1 dried bay leaf
1 boneless skinless chicken breast
2 Tbs minced flat-leaf parsley
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

1. In a large pot, combine stock, sage, thyme, fennel, peppercorns, garlic, celery, carrots, onions, bay leaf, (or dried vegetable mix) Bring to a boil; reduce to medium-low. Simmer for 15 minutes.

2. Meantime, cut chicken and sweet potato into bite size pieces and saute in olive oil until chicken cooked.

3. Add noodles to broth and cook until tender.

4. Add chicken and sweet potatoes and simmer for a few minutes for flavors to blend.

Chicken Noodle Soup…It’s what’s for Fighting the Cold.

I’m sending this to paradise for Deb’s Souper Sunday Feature

Comments

I thought about making a chicken noodle soup the other day. I have a real nice chicken in the freezer. The upcoming cold weather won’t be bothering us at all!! Luckily we are still healthy. Your soup looks delicious!

Kirsten, I’ve been somewhat complaining about the unseasonably warm weather, but now with the forecast for tomorrow, I’m actually sorry to see it go.  Even though I do love cold nights and soup weather.  Thanks for the comment and get prepared to cuddle up.  :-)

Chicken noodle soup is my daughter’s most requested dish when we get together in the winter. I have never used fennel, but you can be sure I’m going to try it next time because your seasonings are terrific. Your co-workers are lucky to have you on their team!

I’m a big fan of homemade chicken noodle soup but Bev is not, so I don’t make it real often or in big batches. Yours looks very good. My mom and grandmother made their own noodles and I can still remember them hanging all around the house, I think on coat hangers. Bev and I have yet to make any kind of pasta, but we talk about it a lot – I guess it’s just too easy to open a package.

It definitely has it’s healing properties (but don’t tell your pharmacy that or they’ll start selling the ingredients through there and charging a $20 copay!)

I can see how you would be handy to have around ;) Yeah, chicken noodle soup is definitely the cure for all that is wrong in the world…a perennial favorite of mine since I was a wee lass! I agree about using the big, thick noodles, too…we have a plethora of gorgeous Amish noodles in all of our markets since there’s a big Amish town just a half an hour or so away (lucky me)!! This looks delicious :D

You have very lucky office mates! The soup looks comforting and good and the perfect cure-all. Thanks for sending it to Souper Sundays–so nice to have you back this week! ;-)

Divine! Chicken soup is an all time favorite. I don’t make it nearly enough and now you have inspired me with your delicious recipe and beautiful photograph. I can semll it from here. YUM