Predictable with Hatch chiles, unique with Chimayo chile powder, chewy with chicken, creamy with avocado and cooled with a dollop of sour cream to temper the heat of the spice, this is how I prepare Chicken Tortilla soup on the Ranch.
- 3 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic diced
- 2 chicken breasts bone in, skin on
- 32 ounces chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 15 ounce can chopped tomatoes undrained
- 1/2 can Rotel tomatoes undrained
- 15 ounce can cream corned
- 1 teaspoon Mexican Oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Chamayo Chile powder
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- 4 Hatch chile roasted, peeled and chopped
- Corn chips sour cream, chopped cilantro, diced avocado for topping
- salt/pepper to taste
In a Dutch oven heat olive oil to medium high heat. Add chopped onions and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add chopped garlic and cook until fragrant. Pour in the chicken broth and add the cumin. Place the chicken breasts in the pan. Cover and cook for 15 minutes. Turn breasts over and cook 15 minutes more.
Remove chicken breasts from broth and let cool. When able to handle, remove skin and shred chicken from the bone.
To the soup, add canned tomatoes, creamed corn,spices and Hatch chile. Add shredded chicken and simmer for 10 minutes.
Ladle soup into soup bowls, top with hand crushed corn chips, a dollop of sour cream, diced avocado and sprinkle with cilantro.
Ranch Style Hatch Chile Chicken Tortilla Soup …It’s What’s For Dinner.