Predictable with Hatch green chile, unique with Chimayo chile powder, chewy with chicken, creamy with avocado and cooled with a dollop of sour cream to temper the heat of the spice, this is how I prepare Chicken Tortilla soup on the Ranch.
- 3 T. Olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 chicken breasts, bone in, skin on
- 1 32 oz. container of chicken stock (Trader Joes preferred)
- 1 t. ground cumin
- 1 15 ounce can chopped tomatoes, undrained
- ½ can of Rotel tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can cream corned
- 1 t. Mexican Oregano
- ½ t. Chamayo Chile powder
- 1 t. chile powder
- 4 Hatch chile, roasted, peeled and chopped
- Corn chips, sour cream, chopped cilantro, diced avocado for topping
- salt/pepper to taste
- In a Dutch oven heat olive oil to medium high heat. Add chopped onions and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add chopped garlic and cook until fragrant. Pour in the chicken broth and add the cumin. Place the chicken breasts in the pan. Cover and cook for 15 minutes. Turn breasts over and cook 15 minutes more.
- Remove chicken breasts from broth and let cool. When able to handle, remove skin and shred chicken from the bone.
- To the soup, add canned tomatoes, creamed corn,spices and Hatch chile. Add shredded chicken and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Ladle soup into soup bowls, top with hand crushed corn chips, a dollop of sour cream, diced avocado and sprinkle with cilantro.
Chicken Tortilla Soup…It’s What’s For Dinner.
On this day..
- Greek Sliders with Peperoncini and Caper Relish - 2015
- Corn and Edamame Succotash - 2013
- Mango Salad - 2009