This is a recipe for making spare ribs in the oven. We start with a rub of fajita seasoning and brown sugar. Then the ribs are wrapped in foil with a mustard and beer sauce. A slow cook in the oven and you’ve got some mouthwatering oven tender spare ribs.
I’ve always been intimidated by cooking a rack of ribs. After all, ribs are the product of expert, smoker savvy, trophy winning Southeastern barbecue gurus with secret rubs and trademarked mops.
But Yoder Meats has changed all of that for me. I subscribe to their newsletter and on Friday a recipe came through for sheet pan oven tender spare ribs.
After studying the instructions, I confirmed that I most certainly, in my oven, in my kitchen, could cook that! And as it turned out, I could and I did.
Spare Ribs vs. Baby Back Ribs
Spare ribs and baby back ribs are really just two pieces of the same slab of meat.
Baby back ribs are cut from the top of the rib cage, near the backbone.
Spareribs are cut from the bottom of the rib cage, and sometimes include the brisket, which is a bony piece of meat that hangs from the bottom.
The farther down the rib cage you go, the meatier the ribs get. That is essentially why spareribs take longer to cook.
Recipe for Spare Ribs In The Oven
These oven tender spare ribs were everything I expected out of a rib. Fall off the bone tender, a crispy crunchy edge here and there, and a flavor that
I would be proud to serve to my expert rib grilling friends. I now know how to make ribs in the oven.
And aside from wrestling sheets of foil the size of bed sheets, the ruckus was minimal.
In a rib tickling mood? Take a look at this easy recipe where ribs are boiled then grilled Campfire Ribs, Country Style Ribs
Let’s take a look.
Recipe for Cooking Spare Ribs In The Oven
I hope you give this recipe for oven spare ribs a try. And if you do, please come back and give the recipe a star rating. And if you have a favorite spare rib recipe or rub, please let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
More Rib Recipes
- Campfire Ribs, Country Style Pork Ribs
- Country Style Pork Ribs, Cooked in the Crockpot
- Bucatini Pasta with Short Ribs and Capers
- Oven Tender Braised Mexican Short Ribs
And if you’re looking for more pork entree recipes, don’t miss my Main Dishes Pork category. You’ll find lots of delicious ideas. Including one of the most popular pork recipes on my site, Best Grilled Pork Tenderloin. Give it a try.
An overnight soak in a flavorful rub, a slow cook in the oven and you’ve got oven tender ribs without much of a ruckus.
- 2 racks spare ribs
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup fajita seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons Hungarian sweet paprika
- 1 cup beer
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 3 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Brown mustard
- Mix the brown sugar, fajita seasoning, and paprika in a bowl.
- Rub both sides of the spare ribs with the brown sugar mixture.
- Place the spareribs in a 9×13-inch baking pan; cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat an oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C).
- Whisk together the beer, garlic, honey, Worcestershire sauce, and mustard in a bowl.
- Set aside.
- Tear off 2 large sheets of heavy duty aluminum foil and lay them shiny-side down.
- Place a rack of spare ribs on each sheet, meaty-side up.
- Tear off 2 more sheets of foil and place them on top of the ribs, shiny-side up.
- Begin tightly folding the edges of the foil together to create a sealed packet.
- Just before sealing completely, divide the beer mixture evenly into each packet.
- Complete the seal.
- Place the packets side-by-side on an 11×14-inch baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the ribs are very tender, 3 hours and 30 minutes to 4 hours.
- Carefully open each packet, and drain the drippings into a saucepan.
- You may only need the drippings from one packet.
- Set ribs aside.
- Simmer the drippings over medium-high heat until the sauce begins to thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Brush the thickened sauce over the ribs.
- Preheat the oven’s broiler and set the oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source.
- Place the ribs back into the oven and broil until the sauce is lightly caramelized, 5 to 7 minutes.
Serve, and enjoy!
Sheet Pan Oven Tender Spare Ribs … It’s What’s For Dinner