Last Saturday the Baltimore Ravens came to town to play the Denver Broncos in an AFC playoff game. The high temperature at game time registered 16 degrees and continued to fall during the afternoon. But the arctic air couldn’t freeze the charge that electrified this city.
The week leading up to the game, our town had turned into one big pep rally. We became a sea of orange. Everywhere you went, fans, fair weather fans and even people who hadn’t watched a game all season, were wearing Bronco T-shirts, jackets, hats. Even if they didn’t have an official garment, they wore some shade of orange found in their closet. Flags and banners decorated vehicles. Strangers asked strangers what they were doing for the game. Skyscrapers and government buildings were lit with team colors. Conversations had even taken a turn towards speculation of who we’d play the following week…would it be New England??? Houston???
One of the most legendary games in NFL history ended in double overtime and the Ravens claimed victory with a field goal. Stunned Bronco fans everywhere fell silent.
But when I woke up Sunday morning I was surprised to see the sun had come up so I started planning Sunday dinner.
I had a tri-tip roast in the freezer, a can of chipotle peppers in the pantry, thus shredded beef tacos were born. I kept the toppings simple, garnishing only with fresh rings of sweet onion and some romaine mixed with red vinegar and olive oil and squeeze of fresh lime. But I can see this recipe working with any of your favorite taco toppings. A meal built mostly on what I had on hand, let’s take a look.
And easy and flavorful shredded beef taco recipe
- 2-3 pound tri-tip roast
- 2 -3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce seeded, veins removed and chopped
- 1 Tablespoon adobo sauce from the can of peppers
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves chopped
- 28 ounce can chopped tomatoes undrained
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Season the roast with salt and pepper.
- In a large dutch oven heat the oil over medium heat and brown the roast on all sides. Transfer the chuck roast to a plate and set aside. Add the onion to the pan and saute until tender. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Season the onion and garlic with salt and pepper. Add tomatoes. Nestle the roast down into the tomatoes, onions and garlic mixture, then top with remaining ingredients.
- Spoon a little of the tomato mixture on top of roast.
- Cover the pan and cook 2.5 or 3 hours. Until meat is tender.
- Remove the meat from the pan and shred with a fork when cool enough to handle.
- Return the shredded meat back to the cooking liquid and stir to coat.
- Serve the meat into heated corn tortillas or purchased taco shell with all your favorite taco toppings.
Chipotle Shredded Beef Tacos … They’re What’s for Dinner.
From the Kitchen of Lea Ann Brown, Cooking On The Ranch