BBQ Chicken Pizza Recipe with Jalapeno. Sweet and tangy BBQ sauce is a wonderful compliment to roasted chicken, salty cheese and that bite of heat from jalapeno peppers Give this easy sheet pan pizza recipe a try.
Sheet Pan Pizza to the rescue. A super easy weeknight pizza recipe so unique in flavor, you’ll want to make this one over and over.
Busy at work for the past couple of weeks, and mentally drained from the flooding that has taken place in Colorado, we needed a quick and easy dinner for a Friday night respite. This sheet pan pizza recipe with BBQ Chicken and Jalapeno peppers fit perfectly into the plan of comfort.
I’ve had many emails from readers across the country inquiring if we were involved in the horrible floods that have hit our state. Highlands Ranch received a good share of rain during this monsoon, but the brunt of the heavy flooding storms has been to the West, East and North of our location.
We spent our evenings glued to the television watching the destruction and devastation from the comfort of our dry home. Our hearts ached as we watched family after family loose homes, and viewed coverage of some of our favorite pristine foothill getaway destinations destroyed, washed away from canyons. The footage and the story continues to unfold as I write this post. So sobering and horrific.
Last week I treated clients for lunch at our popular Highlands Ranch eatery, Old Blinking Light. I usually order my favorite Ranch Salad, but on this day, their BBQ Chicken Pizza with Jalapeno jumped off the menu. A mini sized pizza with a side salad, it was a delicious, and of course had me planning to make this one at home.
I decided to turn their delicious Southwestern pizza creation into a homemade BBQ Chicken pizza and an easy sheet pan pizza recipe that I could use for more flavor combination in the future.
Sheet Pan Pizza Store Bought Dough
I usually make my own homemade pizza dough, but this time I cheated. Why not turn this into an incredibly easy weeknight pizza recipe and use store bought dough. Practically everyone sells it these days.
Or make it even easier. I called our local Italian Restaurant, Romanos, and order a pizza shell, raw, rolled out and naked to be picked up at 5:00. After shelling out the $2.30, I was home at 5:15. Chopping up some leftover rotisserie chicken, red onion, two jalapeño, some tomato and grabbing a bottle of my favorite Curley’s BBQ Sauce, dinner was on the table by 5:45. And it was delicious. Just what the doctor ordered.
It’s easy to shape store bought dough into any shape you want. Divide half to make 1/2 pound and make this a thin crust sheet pan pizza. Or use the entire pound of dough to make a thick crust sheet pan pizza.
Use the entire 1 pound of dough if using a pizza stone for regular crust pizza.
How To Make Sheet Pan Pizza
- Preheat Oven. Preheat oven to 500 degrees at least 30 minutes before cooking the pizza.
- Prepare Toppings: Cook chicken breast by seasoning with salt and pepper and simply roasting in the oven for about 30 minutes. Or shred meat from a rotisserie chicken. Chop the onions, chop the jalapeno peppers and slice cherry tomatoes in half. Grate the cheddar cheese and you’re ready to proceed.
- Press The Dough Into A Quarter Sheet Pan. A quarter sheet pan is the smaller sheet pan in your arsenal of baking tools. 12 1/2 by 9 inches. Whether using store purchased or homemade pizza dough, use your hand or a rolling pin to shape the dough to fit the sheet pan. Place the dough into the sheet pan.
- “Dock” the Crust Before Adding Toppings Docking is a baking term used to describe the technique of perforating dough before baking. Use a fork to complete this. Pricking the dough with allow the dough to release steam while baking. It will keep the bottom of the crust from getting soggy and will prevent the dough from bubbling up. You’ll get a more even baking surface.
- Add The BBQ Sauce Using a basting brush, brush the dough with the BBQ Sauce.
- Add The Toppings Sprinkle on grated cheddar cheese, chopped onion, chopped jalapeno and top with the chicken.
- Bake That Sheet Pan Pizza Bake the pizza for about 25 minutes or until crust is golden on the edges and the entire pizza is nice and bubbly.
- Serving Sheet Pan Pizza Let the pizza rest for 5 – 10 minutes and then using a pizza cutter or a sharp chef knife, slice the pizza. Set a trivet on the table, place the sheet pan pizza in the middle with a spatula for serving. Everyone can dig in and enjoy.
Sheet Pan Pizza with BBQ Sauce and Chicken
The sweet and tangy BBQ sauce is a great compliment to the salty cheese and roasted chicken. Adding a bite of heat from the jalapeno and flavored with onion and home grown tomatoes, we devoured this one.
The finishing touch of drizzled Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing is a great addition to the overall flavor combination.
More Pizza Recipes
BBQ Chicken and Jalapeno Pizza
- 1 Tablespoon corn meal
- 1 pound pizza dough for thick crust, 1/2 pound for thin crust
- 1/2 Cup BBQ sauce
- 1/2 Cup cheddar cheese grated
- 1/2 small red onion chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh tomato chopped
- 2 small jalapeno chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chicken breast chopped
- Fresh cilantro fine chopped and Ranch Dressing for topping
- 1/4 cup ranch dressing to drizzle
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees at least 30 minutes before you plan to cook the pizza.
- Sprinkle a quarter sheet pan with corn meal. A quarter sheet pan is 12 1/2 inches by 9 1/2 inches.
- Roll out the dough with a rolling pin, or shape the dough with your hands to form a triangle to fit the sheet pan. Using a fork, jab holes all over the pizza. This allows steam to release from the dough and will make for more even cooking.
- Using a silicone brush brush the crust with the BBQ sauce. Then sprinkle on the chopped ingredients ending with the chicken. Bake for about 25 minutes or until the crust is golden and the toppings are bubbly.
- For Thin Crust Pizza: Preheat oven to 425. Sprinkle pizza stone with corn meal. Spread out 1 pound pizza dough onto the pizza stone. Evenly coat the dough with the BBQ sauce and then cheddar cheese. Sprinkle on the rest of the ingredients. Bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until everything looks bubbly and cooked. Remove from oven and sprinkle with chopped cilantro and drizzle with Ranch dressing.
Sheet Pan Pizza … It’s What’s for Dinner.