This chili burrito recipe is one I concocted when I first became interested in Southwestern/Mexican food over thirty years ago. Soft flour tortillas filled with smashed cheesy beans and topped with beef and bean chili. Simple and delicious. Everyone used to rave about it, so I made it often. Winning a batch of Larry’s very own homemade Chili Seasoning was a perfect excuse to drag out this recipe. It probably hadn’t seen the light of day for twenty years.
A few weeks ago, I was thrilled to receive an envelope containing my winnings of Chili Seasoning from Larry over at Big Dude’s Eclectic Ramblings. Larry writes a great blog and is constantly serving up mouth-watering after mouth-watering meal . If you haven’t been to his site, you’re missing out.
What to do with that chili seasoning? Make a Chili Burrito of course! A very easy meal with a side of good old fashioned comfort. Just use your favorite chili seasoning for this easy recipe.
- For the Filling:
- 1 15 ounce can pinto beans, undrained
- 1 15 ounce can red kidney beans, undrained
- 1 teaspoon bacon grease, lard or Crisco
- ½ cup Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
- For the Chili Topping:
- 1 pound ground beef, lean
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 15 ounce can pinto beans in chili sauce (I use Kuners)
- 1 15 ounce can chopped tomatoes, undrained
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup chili seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sour Cream and Avocado for garnish
- Flour Tortillas, warmed
- For the bean filling: In a fry pan over medium high heat add pinto beans and kidney beans. Once bubbly, add the bacon grease, lard, or Crisco.. With a potato masher, mash the beans until nice and creamy. Add cheese, stir well until melted. Remove from heat and set aside.
- For the Chili: In a skillet over medium high heat, add ground beef and cook until starting to brown. Add onion and bell pepper and cook until beef is cooked through and vegetables are soft. Drain grease from beef if necessary. Add Pinto Beans in Chili Sauce, canned tomatoes, water and chili seasoning. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- To assemble burritos. Warm flour tortillas for a few seconds in the microwave. Add a good sized dollop of the bean mixture to the center of each tortilla. Roll up and top with the chili. Top with sour cream and avocado.
Chili Burritos …It’s What’s for Dinner.