Looking to ditch the flour tortilla? Then you’ll love this Chicken Burrito Bowl, made with taco seasoned ground chicken breast and surrounded by bright colors and savory ingredients. This is a beautiful and healthy fiesta of a meal.
Oh sure, I’ve had them in fast food restaurants but this is the first time I’ve made a burrito bowl in my own kitchen. And if you’ve been following my blog for a while, you know I love to recreate restaurant meals at home.
Always less expensive, probably healthier and there’s no standing in line at Chipotle.
I felt this version was better tasting than what I’ve had at Chipotle or Qdoba.
I credit that to plain flavored rice, over the lime flavored. The black beans made with dried beans from my Instant Pot certainly created a better experience. And I really like the seasoned ground chicken breast over the grilled like Chipotle serves.
And I simply don’t like salsa on my burrito bowl …. how about some Red Chile Buttermilk Dressing. Yes! Let’s Take a look.
And which came first? The burrito or the bowl? The burrito of course, but:
“Chipotle now sells more bowls than burritos, according to Chris Arnold, a spokesman for the chain.”
And Just What Is A Burrito Bowl?
A burrito bowl is all of your favorite burrito fillings minus the flour tortilla. Which in my opinion makes it more like a main course salad entree.
Every burrito bowl I’ve had has been served over rice, topped with lettuce and then the fun begins.
This is such a versatile meal. For my burrito bowl, I added:
- Ground chicken breast that has been browned and seasoned with my Homemade Taco Seasoning.
- Julienned red bell peppers
- Chopped onion
- Grated cheddar cheese
- Chopped red and yellow petite tomatoes
- Black beans, cooked in my Instant Pot
- Sliced avocado
- Packaged tortilla strips
- And a squeeze of lime
And with a drizzle of my Red Chile Buttermilk Dressing, I truly didn’t miss that flour tortilla shell. It was a delightful meal.
Aside from all the fresh veggies, the star of this burrito bowl is the ground chicken breast cooked in Taco Seasoning.
It’s simply a lighter choice than ground beef. And I always keep a supply of my homemade taco seasoning in the pantry. The flavor of homemade taco seasoning is superior to those packaged brands found in stores, and it contains no preservatives. Just pure taco flavor.
Tip: Purchase two boneless skinless chicken breasts and cut them into big chunks. Place them in your food processor and pulse until coarsely ground. It’s a bit cheaper than buying pre-ground chicken at the store. Always remember, every step the butcher takes to provide you with convenience, results in a cost passed along to you.
What Goes Into A Burrito Bowl?
Just think of the possibilities. You can turn this chicken burrito bowl into so many versions:
- Replace ground chicken with grilled sliced chicken, ground beef or ground turkey.
- Use pinto beans instead of black beans.
- Substitute brown rice for the white.
- Switch up the grated cheese with Mexican crumbling cheese, like Cotija, or use grated Pepper Jack cheese.
- Instead of using white rice, purchase Vigo Yellow Rice. It would make a splash of a presentation.
- Use yellow sweet corn in the toppings.
- Replace the chopped tomatoes with Pico de Gallo.
- Put a dollop of guacamole on top instead of sliced avocado.
- Cook sliced chicken breast or steak in fajita seasoning instead of using ground chicken in taco seasoning.
- Add a little bit of sliced purple cabbage for some exciting color.
- Add a dollop of sour cream.
- Add seasoned cooked shrimp as the protein.
- Use rotisserie chicken to make your burrito bowl.
- Make it meatless for a vegetarian burrito bowl.
The list goes on and on … but always make it your own, and serve it with a squeeze of lime and some chopped cilantro for garnish.
Tip: Have you ever purchased those pre-made Tortilla Strips. They’re in the produce department at my grocer. They’re perfect for this Chicken Burrito Bowl.
Recipe for Chicken Burrito Bowl
I hope you give this Chicken Burrito Bowl recipe a try. And if you do, please come back and give the recipe a star rating. And if you have a favorite naked burrito combination, let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
More Lighter Healthy Mexican Recipes
- Casa Grande, Mexican Chicken Salad with Avocado
- Creamy Tangy Avocado Chicken Salad
- Chipotle Chicken Salad Tacos
- Chicken Barbacoa Tacos
- Lobster Tacos with Poblano Peppers
- Roasted Bell Pepper Black Bean Chicken Tacos
- Shrimp Tacos with Lime Dressing
- Calabacitas con Queso
And if you’re looking for more Mexican Food recipes, don’t miss my Mexican Southwest Recipe Category. You’ll find lots of great salad ideas. Including the most popular recipe on my site for Hatch Green Chili, Colorado Style.
Chicken Burrito Bowl
- 10 Cherry Tomatoes red and yellow, chopped
- 1/2 cup sweet onion diced
- 1 small jalapeno seeded, deveined, diced
- 4 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- 1 pound chicken breast boneless, skinless, ground
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups romaine lettuce shredded
- 1 cup mild cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 red bell pepper thin sliced into bite sized pieces
- 1 avocado diced or sliced
- 1 cup white rice uncooked, once cooked this will provide enough rice for 4 bowls.
- 1 cup dried black beans cooked. Or 1 14.5 ounce can, drained and rinsed
- 8 tablespoons Creamy Ranch Dressing Such as Red Chile Buttermilk Ranch
- 1 lime quartered
- 1/2 cup Tortilla strips purchased
- If cooking black beans in the pressure cooker: Place black beans in Instant Pot with 8 cups of water. Cook on high pressure for 35 minutes, natural release for 20 minutes. Drain and set aside. Or you can open a can of black beans, drain, rinse and set aside.
- Cook rice according to package instructions. Set aside and keep warm
- While rice is cooking, prep all vegetable ingredients.
- Rough chop and place chicken breast in a food processor. Using the pulse feature, ground the chicken until coarse in texture.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. When the pan is hot, add oil. Once the oil is shimmering, add the ground chicken breast. With a spatula, break the chicken breast up so it cooks evenly. Lower heat to medium low. When chicken is almost cooked, add the taco seasoning. Mix. Add water and stir well. Cook for 15 minutes or until liquid has absorbed. Set aside and keep warm.
- To build your chicken burrito bowl: Add a scoop of rice to each bowl. Top with romaine lettuce. Then arrange the vegetables, beans, avocado, chicken and cheese on top. Garnish with chopped cilantro and tortilla strips. Serve with a wedge of lime for squeezing.
- Drizzle with Red Chile Buttermilk Dressing
Why Trust These Recipes? Lea Ann Brown has lived, worked and played in Colorado for 45 years. She has immersed herself in the Colorado Culinary space, is a Culinary School Graduate and publishes her Colorado food Blog, Cooking On The Ranch.