Chile Cheese Cake, a great Southwestern appetizer recipe. It’s prepared in a spring form pan like a cheese cake, it looks like a cheese cake, but loaded up with southwestern ingredients, this appetizer served with tortilla chips is a unique and wonderful crowd pleasing recipe.
For our May Wine Time gathering we chose a wonderful Italian Wine to sample. One of these days I’m actually going to plan ahead and serve an appetizer that pairs with the wine, but when this recipe caught my eye I threw all food/wine pairing rules out the window and grabbed my spring form pan.
A cheese cake made with all things Southwestern? What a great idea. And it was an easy fix.
For the crust, I used my food processor with the plastic blade to crush up some corn chips and mixed them with melted butter. Pressed into a cheese cake spring form pan and baked a few minutes before adding all the cheesy ingredients on top. Loved this idea.
The cheese cake uses two 8-ounce blocks of cream cheese, and Colby and Monterey Jack creamed with two eggs. I think the key to the flavor of this is the can of fire roasted chopped chile peppers. The smoky flavor really shined. Don’t grab just any old can of chopped peppers.
And topped with tomatoes, green onions and avocados, we loved this. My imagination ran wild on variations to this recipe, but I wanted to try it in it’s original form first. The only thing I added that the recipe didn’t suggest was chopped avocados. You’ll find the full recipe below.
- 1 C. tortilla chips, crushed
- 3 T. butter, melted
- 2 8-ounce packages cream cheese (softened)
- 2 eggs
- 1 4-oz can fire roasted diced green chiles
- 1 fresh jalapeno, cored, seeded and diced
- 4 ounces Colby cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- ¼ C. sour cream
- For topping:
- chopped tomatoes
- chopped green onions
- sliced black olives
- chopped avocado
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In medium bowl, combine crushed tortilla chips and butter. Press into bottom of a 9-inch spring form pan. Bake 15 minutes, remove from oven, leaving oven on.
- In large bowl, blend cream cheese and eggs. Add green chiles, jalapeno, Colby and Monterey Jack. Pour over crust and bake 30 minutes. Do not overcook. Remove from oven and cool in pan 5 minutes. Run knife around inside edge and remove sides from pan. Spread sour cream over top and decorate with tomatoes, green onions, olives and avocado. Serve with tortilla chips.
Chile Cheese Cake…It’s What’s for a Southwestern Appetizer Recipe.