Breakfast on the Grill, Zesty Ham Steak

This is a fabulous brown sugar, horseradish glaze for grilled ham steak. Great for breakfast or a quick and easy dinner.

The grilling Gods were kinder this past Sunday. Winds had died down and smoke from New Mexico wildfires had all but vanished. Hitting the deck early, I grilled up a ham steak and potatoes for breakfast. I’ve had this recipe for the ham glaze for-EVER. Probably thirty years. It’s full of flavor, and a perfect partner for salty ham. I par-boiled the potatoes and threw them on the grill at the same time and in no time we were enjoying a wonderful breakfast from the grill. This is an easy and very flavorful glaze.

And the leftovers were wonderful the next morning made into Ham Hash with Mustard Cream Sauce.  Let’s take a look:

Breakfast On The Grill, Zesty Ham Steak

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

A delicious glaze for grilled ham.
Author:
Recipe type: Glaze, Ham, Entree
Serves: 6
Ingredients
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • ⅓ cup prepared horseradish
  • ¼ cup lemon juice
  • 1 fully cooked ham steak ( to -/2 pounds and inch thick)
Instructions
  1. Directions In a small saucepan, bring brown sugar, horseradish and lemon juice to a boil. Brush over both sides of ham. Grill over medium-hot heat for 10-12 minutes on each side or until heated through and well glazed. Yield: 4 servings.

Zesty Grilled Ham…It’s What’s for Breakfast.

Comments

I thought I just left a comment, but I think I forgot to post it, doh! Lovethat dish! And the ham steak looks so good, I don’t know why I don’t get it more often! Breakfast on the grill sounds incredible.

The ingredients in the glaze sound very interesting – I’m trying to imagine the flavor. The plated meal looks positively killer and I would have stood out in the smoke if you’d serve it to me.

That glaze sounds delicious and that ham breakfast looks like one of those dishes you have to admire before cutting it up. But seriously, we have to talk about that birdie serving platter. Are you aware of my obsession with those little metal birdies?? You should hide that one from me next visit. :)

• Lea Ann says

Last year when you commented on that metal dish, I promptly ran over to Hobby Lobby to see if they had another, I was going to send it to you. They did not. Darnit. I love that thing.

Lea Ann this sounds so good! I have never thought to use my grill earlier than lunch time but love the idea of something smokey and grilled to start the day. It looks so straight forward too. Will have to try this myself.

I’ve got to try this! We don’t eat ham that often but when we do I want it tasty like this. I don’t think I’ve ever had grilled ham – I love the idea!

• Lea Ann says

I eat ham when I grill it like this and at Easter, and maybe Christmas. It’s just so frickin good.

What a fun thing to do – breakfast on the grill. I’m going to try to do that this summer on weekends! We love horseradish, so this is right up our alley!

• Lea Ann says

I think I like it because it’s brown sugar and horseradish. Sweet/Salty and then it kicks yer butt.

We made this last night as a side for breakfast-for-dinner. The glaze is fantastic. I can’t wait to also try it on bacon!

Thanks for the post!