Under the weather? Feeling puny? Chicken soup…a cure for the common cold? Probably not, but it sure defines a comforting meal for any Winter evening. The aromas alone are enough to soothe the soul and the hot broth make any scratchy throat feel better.
A steamy bowl of vitamin-packed vegetables swimming in a savory broth alongside chunks of chicken and floating herbs and spices and you’ve got a classic easy homemade soup.
Years ago, I learned to add small chunks of sweet potato to make the combination even more interesting. Let’s take a look.
- 2.T. olive oil
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 2 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 medium sweet potato. peeled and small cubed
- 1 medium parsnip, peeled and chopped
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 5 sprigs fresh parsley, minced
- 1 t. dill seed
- 1 t. basil
- ½ t. tarragon
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- In fry pan, saute chicken breasts in olive oil until almost done. Set aside.
- In a Dutch oven, heat olive oil in a large sauce pot over medium heat. Saute onion, carrots, celery, sweet potato and parsnips for 2 minutes to enhance the natural sugar in them.
- Add the stock and bring to a boil, lower to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes until all the vegetables are tender. Add the fresh minced parsley and spices. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add in shredded chicken and serve.
Chicken Soup…It’s what’s for Dinner.
On this day..
- Bronco Cocktails: Blood Orange Margarita and a Bronco-Tini - 2014
- Rick Bayless Slow Roasted Achiote Pork - 2010