Coyote Corn and Buffalo Bill Steaks

This Coyote Corn is so good that once you serve it to the pack, they’ll be howling for more.

First of all, I’d like to take a poll on how you pronounce the word coyote. There always seems to be a bit of controversy. Do you say coyot (2 syllables) or coyotEE? (three syllables) I’m convinced it should be the latter. I think they sound more rascally with that long E at the end.  I don’t know about where you live, but here in Colorado we live amongst packs of coyotes.  They reside comfortably in our neighborhoods and roam our yards nightly hunting for rabbits, cats or small dogs.  They can easily jump our 6 foot privacy fences and if they see you looking at them they glare back with a menacing grin.  They always seem to look guilty.

For this recipe I used Colorado sweet corn that I had tucked away in the freezer, a  combination of Silver Queen and Super Sweet varieties purchased from the farmer’s market. It was an impressive year for our sweet corn and it shined in this flavorful dish.

The combination of flavors wrap around each other with creamy help from the melted butter and starch from the corn. Bold and earthy sun-dried tomatoes surprise themselves by complimenting the sweetness of the corn and pickles, the jalapenos bring the excitement and the sliced green onions are a natural lively and crunchy addition. The cilantro topping is the icing on the cake for us.

Coyote Corn served as a fabulous Fall side dish for a bison steak dinner. We’ve had beautiful weather in Denver, warm and perfect for hanging out on the deck drinking fiery Mexican Micheladas with steaks searing on a hot grill.  This Buffalo Bill Steak combines Bison New York Strip Steaks resting on a bed of sautéed red and orange bell peppers and onions and seasoned with salt and pepper and zesty grained mustard. Mouthwateringly delicious. Let’s take a look at the recipes:

Coyote Corn

A great Southwestern recipe for fresh sweet corn.
Author:
Recipe type: Side Dish
Serves: 4
Ingredients
  • 2 T. butter
  • 3 C. fresh corn kernels
  • 4 whole sun-dried tomatoes
  • 3 T. finely chopped fresh basil
  • ⅓ C. chopped green onions, including tops
  • 1 - 2 T. chopped jalapeno pepper
  • 1 T. chopped bread and butter pickles (a spicy brand is better)
  • A garnish of cilantro is a must
Instructions
  1. In a medium skillet, heat butter over medium high heat until foam subsides. Add corn and sun-dried tomatoes and cook, stirring frequently for about four minutes. Add jalapeno peppers and pickles. Season with salt and pepper. Place in a serving bowl and toss in basil and green onions. Serve warm or at room temperature. Serves four.

Buffalo Bill Steaks

• 1 T. olive oil, divided
  • 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
  • 1/2 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into thin strips
  • 1/2 yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into thin strips
  • 2 T. coarse grain mustard
  • 1/2 C. water
  • Salt and pepper
  • 2 Bison New York Strip Steaks, 1 inch thick

Preheat grill to medium. In large skillet, heat two teaspoons of the oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently for about five minutes. Add bell peppers and cook until onion is golden, about ten minutes. If mixture becomes too dry, add a little water.  In a small bowl whisk mustard with water and add to onion and pepper mixture and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated. Season with salt and pepper to taste and remove from heat and cover. Brush steaks lightly with remaining oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill about three minutes per side for medium-rare. To serve spoon the onion and pepper mixture onto a platter and top with steaks. At the dinner table spoon mixture over steaks and enjoy.

Keep in mind, bison contains less fat than regular beef, requires less cooking time, and will be dry if over-cooked.

Both recipes adapted from Colorado Collage, however, I altered the corn recipe quite abit, does that make it mine?

Coyote Corn and Buffalo Bill Steaks…It’s What’s For Dinner.

Comments

Wow, that looks good! We do grilled onions and peppers a lot, but I never would have thought to try adding some mustard. Same with the pickles in the corn dish – whodathunk? Does the Coyote corn end up tasting a bit like a relish then?

We have a few coyote (long eee) around here, but our most frequent predator is the neighborhood fox. We often see him nosing around the edge of the pond looking for a snack.

I was woken up by the coyotes at 3.30 am howling outside my bedroom window. They must have smelled the corn!! Oh, I really would like the steaks for dinner tonight. Lucky us, that we know where to buy the good buffalo steaks.

Dinner looks AMAZING! Both recipes are right up my alley! Saving them, thanks!

I’m in the club that says CoyotE!

Do you say potato or potahto? Tomato Tomahto? LOL :)

Thanks Carol, sounds like most of us foodies prounce the word coyote correctly. I grew up in the middle of Kansas, it’s the plain ol way for me for potato and tomato.

Oh, that is a fantastic dinner! Love the sound of every single part. I say coyoteeee. Although sometimes I say coyot for fun…but it always comes out with a southern accent. Hmmm. 8) We have them here, too. My uncle was just telling me about some around his house (he has lots of animals) and how there seems to be a lot right now for some reason!

I love the coyotE corn recipe. What interesting ingredients – your combinations always taste so good, girl! And that bison steak looks delicious as well. Nice meal!

I say it with 2 sylables usually (accent on the first sylable) – though I use the three sylable pronounciation sometimes, too. When they’re outside my bedroom window chasing deer, I’m liable to call them something much more colorful. :) Dana saw a wolf in the pasture next door a couple of weeks ago – I was happier about having a neighborhood bear!

I’m with the latter pronouncation. I like the names you’ve given these dishes. Very wild west. Love the combination of ingredients you’ve used Lea Ann. Makes one want to howl yahoo.

Happy trails,

I use the E when I talk about the wiley critters. Both dishes look very good – you came up with a dandy corn concoction. When we bought some bison awhile back, we considered some steaks, but I think they wanted about $20/lb for them. I have a small slab of short ribs that I’m smoking for dinner on Saturday.

The corn looks amazing! Always enjoy throwing bread and butter pickles into recipes, and I bet they are a great add-in to some of that awesome Colorado sweet corn!

Love the tomatoes in with the corn – the whole dish has flavors I love. I don’t think there’s anything more eerie sounding than coyotes in the distance. We saw 3 or 4 last weekend while out deer hunting. They don’t stick around to make friends :)

10. swibirun says

That corn is screaming out to me. Bookmarked to try it soon. Your comment about the spicy pickles caught my eye because I have some sweet pickled jalapenos (Piney Pete’s) that are the most unusual jalapenos I’ve had. They would be PERFECT in this.

Definitely. Coyote with three syllables. I’ve never even heard it pronounced with two.
    Loving this corn recipe….and how marvelous your bison steak looks!

What a delicious meal… I’d like it for breakfast right now!
    I have some corn in the freezer, so I will be trying this.
    I call them coyotes with 3 syllables, but maybe that’s because I grew up in Colorado? We have them here also and they do always look guilty. :)

I’ve always pronounced coyote with three syllables. I always thought them handsome creatures.
    I love corn, and I’m going to love trying this dish! It looks fabulous :-)

Oh my gosh! It is 4:41 AM and I WANT this. I am soooo making the corn, and while I eat steak only half a dozen times a year, my BF would eat it practically every might of the week. This is bookmarked and a must do! Thank you for sharing these recipes so that we all may enjoy them too. YUM!!

I just had to add after I was about to copy and paste the recipe, I saw that it was adapted from Colorado Collage which I have! I also love Creme de Colorado.