Smoky Pimento Cheese Spread

Looking for a great little cracker and dip idea to impress your football watching guests this weekend?  Take a look at this one.

I think I tried bottled Pimento Cheese Spread once and promptly filed it in the “didn’t like” section of my mental food file. When Larry over at Big Dude’s Eclectic Ramblings posted his wife Bev’s Homemade Pimento Cheese Spread, it looked so good that I knew I had to give it 2nd chance. His sentiments to my comment was “warning, you’ll never buy store-bought again”.   Sold!

With its hearty flavor and served with crackers, this would be a great addition to any tailgating party, or with its slight heat, a nice warm-up appetizer to a chili dinner with friends. This even works nice as a spread to compliment a good sandwich. Let’s take a look.

Bev’s recipe was more about directions that an exact accounting of ingredients, so here’s what I did with ingredients I had on hand.

Bev’s Home Made Smoky Pimento Cheese Spread

1 C. shredded White Tillamook Cheddar
1 C. shredded Sharp Yellow Tillamook Cheddar

2 roasted Italian Bullhorn red peppers (wonderful flavor) peeled and chopped
1 roasted pimento, peeled and chopped (or one small jar – drained)

I’m not sure how much mayo,  just kept adding a little at a time until I had a good consistency – maybe 1/2 cup?

2 – 3 Chipotle peppers in adobo, chopped - I deveined and seeded these so it wouldn’t be too hot

A shake of salt and pepper. Bev didn’t say to, but I added a few shakes of dried onion.

Delicious Bev! I love the smoky flavor the chipotle peppers add not to mention the sweet earthy flavor that the roasted pimentos and bullhorns bring to the party.  I took it to an afternoon barbecue and I think it lasted all of ten minutes…and we’re even were a polite bunch!

Bev’s Smoky Pimento Cheese Spread,

It’s What’s for a Party.

Comments

1. Vickie says

Wow – I’ve always just made the plain stuff without the smoky flavors. You can bet I’ll be trying this one really soon. What a great idea! Nice shot of those beautiful roasted peppers, too.

Thanks Vickie. I did taste it before I added the chipotle and decided it needed a kick. I just love that I’ve been able to find fresh pimento peppers. I’ve got a couple more roasted and in the freezer for a rainy day.

This sounds like a very tasty dip. I love anything with chipotle peppers in adobo. And the smokiness of the other peppers must add great flavor. Great idea!

I’ve never ahd it, but from what I hear, homemade pimiento cannot even compare to storebought. Yours sounds delicious. I really should give it a try!

4. dan says

Ooooh. I gotta have some. That was cruel to post this on a fall football weekend. Now I have to try and make it.

I saw that guy from Tillamook Cheese sitting on a bench the other day. He asked with an easy smile if I needed directions back to that lighthouse.

Hi Leann! I can’t wait to see the cookbook. I’m still waiting on mine, aaarrrggghhh! Thank you so much for following my blog. I can’t wait to see your recipe. I actually live in Castle Pines North so we are probably neighbors. You pimento cheese spread looks delicious.

Thanks for the visit to my blog. Glad you found me so I could find you! Love the looks of the recipe, especially chipotle and roasted peppers, and this one looks fantastic!

Oh Lea Ann, you are so right! That bottled stuff would put you off pimento spread for life! I’m so pleased you found a lovely homemade dip we can all enjoy. This sounds fabulous and I love the roasted pepper addition.

Lea Ann, I adore pimento cheese and as a child from the south, I grew up with a fresh jar of my mother’s homemade pimento cheese in our refrigerator always conveniently sitting there waiting for me. I have never, ever in my life used store bought pimento cheese and the few times I’ve sampled it in the supermarket, it was way too sweet for me.

I saw Bev’s pimento cheese on Larry’s blog and made a note to try it, but somehow never got around to it. It looks heavenly. The chipotles have to give this recipe a great kick.

I’m not familiar with the Italian Bullhorn red pepper. Could I use a roasted red pepper? Are the tastes similar? I’m dying to give this recipe a try.