Spanish Deviled Eggs

How about a little bit of South of the Border Tapas?  Chorizo sausage turns a deviled egg into an exciting and different appetizer.

Our friends Kathy and Tom gave me this cute and fun cookbook for Christmas, W.I.N.O.S. (Women In Need Of Sanity) GO TAPAS. by Bonnie Jesseph.  The inside cover suggests we visit their website www.winoshavefun.com.

As I was thumbing through it at our party, Tom asked what I was going to make first. My reply was “have you ever played Recipe Roulette?” So that’s what I did and here are the rules.

Recipe Roulette:  You take a cookbook in your hands, close your eyes, spin the cookbook every which direction possible. With eyes still closed open the cookbook and point your finger on the open page. Open your eyes and you have to make the recipe your finger has landed on.

You HAVE to – it’s the rules.

My finger landed on Spanish Deviled Eggs. Lucky for me, as I love deviled eggs and the idea of topping them with Chorizo and Cilantro sounded so interesting.  Actually the recipe used parsley, but all I could imagine in..on ..and along-side those eggs was cilantro.  These were pretty darn good and I think would make an interesting appetizer for your next dinner party.

I served these with a Spanish cabbage soup that is so easy and delicious you’ll have a fit and I mean an  f-i-t.  I’ll post that recipe soon.  But first,  here is the recipe for the eggs:

Spanish Deviled Eggs

Chorizo and cilantro turns an ordinary deviled egg into an exciting appetizer option.
Recipe type: Appetizer
Ingredients
  • 1 dozen eggs
  • 4 ounces Spanish chorizo sausage, finely chopped
  • 1 T. cilantro, finely chopped and a sprig for garnish
  • ¼ c. seeded, finely diced roasted red peppers, such as piquillo (couldn’t find so I used roasted red bell)
  • 1 T. sherry vinegar
  • 3 T. mayonnaise
  • 1 T. Dijon mustard
  • 2 T. cold water
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Instructions
  1. Hard boil eggs. Slice eggs lengthwise, remove yolks and place yolks in a medium bowl. Arrange egg white halves in your favorite Deviled Egg serving bowl.
  2. To prepare filling, cook chorizo in a skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally until crisp. Meanwhile add cilantro, red pepper, vinegar, mayo, mustard and water to yolks. Mash. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
  3. Scoop filling into egg whites. Sprinkle with warm chorizo and cilantro.

What a fun and easy little recipe and I think next time I’ll throw in a dash of cumin.  Why not!  And since I’ve substituted cilantro with parsley and added cumin,  we’ll call it India African Inspired Spanish Deviled Eggs.

Spanish Deviled Eggs…It’s What’s For An Appetizer.

Comments

1. Vickie says

This sounds delicious – chorizo is so flavorful! I always add cumin to my deviled eggs – and this year I put little pieces of that delicious meat candy, bacon, on top. Wish I’d thought of chorizo – that would add a little more spice! Nice post, and I can’t wait for the promised soup fit! :P

I love the idea of recipe roullette…and I love the idea of these deviled eggs (sound way better than “regular” ones to me)!! And now I have another book on my list…the name alone had me sold :D

Thanks Girlichef, the book has a lot of tapas and appetizer recipes. I haven’t had a chance to look at it carefully, but I think I’m going to find some fun stuff to try. As always, thanks for stopping by.

Hi Lee Ann
    Thanks for the comment on my blog and I hope you enjoy the salad. Luckily I have a pear left over so I can try your pear, walnut and blue cheese salad – it looks yummy.

peter

ps love the cat pictures

4. buffalo dick says

Deviled eggs are a favorite of mine- these sound great! I have a cookbook that is nothing but deviled egg recipes- but people around here aren’t too adventuresome..

I’d love to take a look at that cookbook. I’ll have to google it. My mom was here for the holidays and when she heard what I was making she said “why would you want to ruin deviled eggs???” She is the Deviled Egg Queen by the way

Thanks for stopping by BD

can any one play with any cook book or do you need this one – I love the idea of this roulette – plus since I never use recipes this will force me to – the cumin sounds like it would be the extra special kick that these kicked up eggs would love.

Anyone can play and you can play with any cookbook. I’ve even closed my eyes and walked over to the bookcase and blindly picked out a cookbook (pin the tail on the donkey style) and then turned it every which direction. So, I didn’t even know what cookbook I was holding, or what recipe would turn up. Thanks for stopping by!

I often play recipe roulette with my cookbooks. I am the WORST at deciding what to cook. I want to make everything and as a result can decide on nothing. It’s a problem.

It looks like you won with this recipe though. I like cilantro infinitely more than parsley…so glad you made the substitution.

A few times when I actually use a cookbook, I’ve done the same, but did not stick to the rules of choosing the recipe I landed on :)

LOVE chorizo and your choice of cilantro instead of parsley.

I LOVE deviled eggs! I make a pretty mean one, but chopped meat on top? Yeah baby!

I have often thought of doing the roulette idea, probably should just do it..

Love love love deviled eggs, but Jeff and the girls, not so much. This looks easy enough to make for one though, doesn’t it? I’ve never played recipe roulette, but I have played “make the husband pick”. I ask him to choose between a couple of recipes when I can’t decide what to make. I usually end up making the opposite of what he picks, but it still gets the job done ;)

BTW Lea Ann, I think your blog is snowing. You may need to check your thermostat.

LOL on two accounts: First of all, finally someone noticed my blog is snowing! Flurries are predicted through January 3, and the sun will shine once more. And I do the same thing…”Bob, what sounds good?….”this”? or “this”? And yup, I pick the opposite. This egg recipe is easy to make, I did end up adding a bit more mayo because I thought it was a little too vinegar-ie, so just adjust to your taste. Thanks Karen