We’ve been having beautiful weather here in Denver, so can’t get enough of grill time. And what a great combination for grilled chicken kabobs. Predictable with onions and chunks of zucchini, the surprise in this skewer is a tart bite of tomatillo. This recipe comes together nicely dressed with a red wine vinegar, parsley and mint combination. Served over beautiful mixed greens and sprinkled with salty feta this is a healthy meal that’s ready in a jiff.
Don’t forget to pour a nice glass of wine. Always a sucker for Oregon wine, we enjoyed these with a tasty Oregon A to Z Pinot Gris .
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 2 zucchini
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1½-inch pieces
- 4 small tomatillos, halved (about ½ pound)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped mint
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 ounce crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat grill. Peel and rinse tomatillo and prepare other vegetables and chicken. On four 14-inch-long metal skewers, tightly thread the chicken, zucchini, red onion and tomatillos in an alternating pattern. Brush the skewers with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill the skewers over a medium-hot fire, turning frequently, until the chicken is just cooked through and the vegetables are lightly charred and barely tender, about 6 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the mint, parsley, garlic, vinegar and the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil; season with salt and pepper.
- Serve over mixed greens. Spoon the vinaigrette on top, sprinkle with feta.
Grilled Chicken Skewers with Tomatillos…It’s What’s For Dinner