This is a recipe for Italian Sausage Soup with Pasta. With lots of red wine, tomatoes and jumbo pasta shells. Simple with ingredients, easy to make, this is a beautiful sausage soup recipe that will become a favorite.
Zuppa Salsiccia simply translates to Sausage Soup, which seems like such a modest description for this incredibly flavorful dish.
We flat out love this Italian Sausage Soup and I make it often. It’s a fun soup for entertaining since it gets such rave reviews.
This soup, hands down, is our favorite in my database. I’ve had this recipe for many years and every time we make it we comment about why we don’t have it more often.
Alongside a beautiful green salad dressed with your favorite vinaigrette and a chunk of crusty bread, this is elegant enough to serve as a main course at a dinner party.
An easy fix, the hardest part is giving up a cup and a half of good drinking red wine to simmer in the broth. I never use wine in soup that I wouldn’t drink.
My recommendation would be this well priced Cabernet, Columbia Crest – H3 from Washington State.
The combination of both sweet and hot Italian sausage which has long simmered in beef stock, red wine and tomatoes, seasoned with green bell pepper, garlic, onion and basil makes for an incredibly flavorful treat.
Ladling it over some al dente large shell pasta and topping with it with some shredded Parmesan cheese finishes this delicious Italian Sausage soup. You really must give this one a try.
Recipe for Italian Sausage Soup, Zuppa Salsiccia
I hope you give this Italian Sausage Soup recipe a try. And if you do, please come back and let me know how you liked it and give the recipe a star rating.
Your feedback is valuable to me for developing future recipes. And if you have a favorite Soup recipe with Italian Sausage, let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
More Soup Recipes with Pasta
- Wintery Chicken Pasta Soup
- Crockpot Beef Stew with Butternut Squash Soup served over Fettuccini
- Chicken Noodle Soup
And if you’re looking for even more soup recipes, don’t miss my Soup Category. You’ll find lots of slurp worthy recipes including the most popular on my site for Anthony Bourdain’s New Mexico Style Chili.
Zuppa Salsiccia, Italian Sausage Soup
- 3 links hot Italian Sausage
- 3 links sweet Italian Sausage
- 1 1/2 cups good quality red wine
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 small cans stewed tomatoes 15 1/2 ounce cans.
- 1 sweet onion chopped
- 2 green onions sliced thin
- 1 whole green pepper chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley chopped, plus some for garnish
- 2 Tablespoons dried basil
- 3 whole garlic cloves minced
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Parmesan cheese
- Large shell pasta cooked al-la-dente
- In a deep pan brown sausage thoroughly, remove from pan and drain well. In same pan saute onions, green peppers and garlic in olive oil until soft. Add sausage and red wine and bring to a boil. Add remaining ingredients and simmer uncovered for at least one hour.
- About 15 minutes before soup is done, cook the pasta according to package instructions, drain and keep warm. In a soup bowl spoon a few pasta shells, pour a generous helping of soup over top. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese and some parsley for garnish.
- For leftovers, store the pasta and soup in separate containers. If you don’t, the pasta will absorb a lot of the broth.
Zuppa Salsiccia …It’s What’s For Dinner
Lyn Hall says
Incredible soup recipe. Thanks LeaAnn!!!!
Carole from Carole's Chatter says