A spicy flavored popcorn recipe flavored with cumin, chili powder, cayenne and smoked paprika. Firecracker corn is a blast of flavor.Don’t you love the smell of fresh popped popcorn? My all time favorite snack food, has been, currently is, and will always be popcorn. What’s yours?
When I was growing up, a couple times a week, Dad would pop corn in his favorite popcorn stove-top skillet. He’d slice an apple and some cheddar cheese and fan them out on a plate, serve up bowls of popcorn and that that would be our evening snack while watching television.
Oh popcorn. How do I love thee? Let me count the ways. And please don’t let me catch you making popcorn from those microwave packets. Popping corn on the stove top is so much easier and healthier. And you can add real butter instead of the butter flavored oils that are in those packets. I’ve had a Whirley Pop Popcorn Maker for years. It practically lives on my stove and pops a perfect batch of popcorn every single time. It turns out popcorn that’s fluffy, crispy and not chewy. I’ve included an affiliate link for your convenience.
Canola oil is my choice for the best oil to pop corn. It’s clean taste doesn’t overwhelm the wonderful flavor of the popcorn. Some people swear by Coconut Oil for that movie theater flavor experience. It’s not my preference.
How about kicking plain old popcorn up with some Southwestern spices. Let’s take a look:
Add some heat to your next popcorn night.
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup popcorn
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder any flavor will do
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Mix spices in a small bowl.
- Melt butter in microwave, about 30 seconds.
- Over medium high heat on the stovetop, combine canola oil and popcorn in Whirly Pop Pop Corn Maker. Give it a good swirl then wait for the corn to start popping and then start turning the Whirly Pop handle. Lower heat slightly and pop corn until the last kernels are popped.
- Remove from heat and pour into a large popcorn bowl.
- After the Whirley Pop has done it's job, transfer popcorn to large bowl, sprinkle with salt, cover with a dinner plate and gently shake. Add melted butter, cover again and gently shake. Pour in spicy mix from above and cover and shake again.
Looking for more flavored popcorn recipes? How about:
Firecracker Corn … It’s What’s for a Snack
- One Year Ago: Chicken Tikka Masala