French Lentils Soup with leftover turkey. Already wondering what you’re going to do with some of that leftover Thanksgiving Turkey? Use it in this healthy, hearty and tasty Turkey Lentil Barley Soup. This soup requires minimal prep and delivers maximum flavor.
French Green Lentils
Everything I know about lentils I learned from Chef John Parks, our Executive Chef at Culinary School. “You should only buy French Puy lentils.” And that’s how Chef John’s words of wisdom were always delivered…simple, concrete and sternly delivered, meant to instill in his students that purchasing quality products is the backbone to creating fine cuisine. And I must say, everything we produced under his supervision was among the most delicious I had ever tasted.
Oh sure, I’ve cooked with lentils many times, grabbing them from the bulk aisle. But until we were cooking a lentil side dish at school, I had never even heard of Lentilles de Puy, or for that matter, even thought about a difference in lentils.
Green French lentils, Puy lentils, are known for their small size and refined taste. They have less starch so they won’t get all mushy and muddy like others.
I grabbed a bag of organic French lentils at Whole Foods a couple of weeks ago, only to find they’re not officially Puy. The package curiously stated they were a product of Canada, but I did find them to be superior to others. How do you know if you’re getting official Puy lentils? Look for an AOC seal on the package, which certifies they’re truly Lentilles du Puy.
Recipe for Turkey Lentil Barley Soup
This French Lentils soup is a great option for using leftover Turkey, and even using left over Oven Roasted Turkey Breast. And of course will work with cooked chicken. Healthy, hearty and tasty Turkey French Lentils and Barley Soup.
The lentils and barley give this turkey soup an earthy down home flavor.
Note: This recipe calls for Quick Cooking Barley which cooks in ten minutes. If using pearl barley adjust cooking time instructions accordingly. I’ve included affiliate links for your convenience.
I hope you give this Turkey Lentil Barley Soup recipe a try and if you do, please come back, give the recipe a star rating and leave a comment about your experience with this recipe. I love hearing my my readers.
And if you have a favorite turkey soup recipe, let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
More Soup Recipes
- White Wine Chicken Potato Soup Recipe
- Chickpea White Bean Chicken Chili
- Wintery Chicken Pasta Soup
- Smoky Bacon Chicken Chile Soup
Roast Turkey Lentil and Barley Soup
- 1/2 cup French Lentils French or regular green lentils
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 carrots peeled and thin sliced
- 2 ribs celery sliced cross ways
- 1 cup yellow onion small dice
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup white wine divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups Roasted Turkey or Chicken Cut into bite sized pieces
- 16 ounce Canned chopped tomatoes undrained
- 1/2 cup Quick Cooking Barley
- Measure lentils and place them in a colander. Rinse and set aside.
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add sliced carrots and cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. Add celery and onion and cook for another 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Deglaze the vegetables with 1/2 cup of wine. Cook, scraping up bits from the bottom of the pan. Add Chicken Broth and spices. Stir until all is mixed together.
- Add lentils and remaining 1/2 cup of wine. Cook lentils according to package instructions. 10 minutes before lentils are to be done, add quick cooking barley, tomatoes and turkey or chicken.
- Serve immediately.
Looking for more hearty poultry soup ideas? How about:
Turkey Barley French Lentils Soup … It’s what’s for Dinner