Take that weekend breakfast to a new healthy level with swiss chard and eggs. Swiss Chard with preserved lemon, smoked paprika and cumin make a wonderful side for fried eggs. Swiss Chard with Fried Eggs = incredible with flavor.
Green Eggs For Breakfast
Well not exactly, but how about some greens with eggs. Swiss chard to be exact.
I think everyone would agree that with St. Patrick’s Day and Spring on their way, March is undeniably a green month. And right on cue, green food coloring starts making an enthusiastic appearance in foods that…well…just shouldn’t be green.
Even though I can put up with a green beer (but why do it?), I put my foot down at green bagels (nuclear?), green chocolate chip cookies (moldy?), green eggs and ham (just wrong?). I’m thinking green food coloring should be reserved for butter cream frosting on cupcakes to take to the office.
With that said, can I have a Shamrock Shake from McDonald’s please?
In the spirit of March, instead of making green eggs, I’m making some incredible flavored greens and eggs.
Swiss Chard with Preserved Lemon
Not very Irish, I chose a Moroccan-themed recipe because I have this $8.00 jar of preserved lemons that I refuse to let go bad like I did with the last $8.00 jar.
The two beautiful bunches of chard that I brought home from the market came alive with flavor after a sauté in olive oil and seasonings.
This healthy Mediterranean breakfast recipe is earthy with smoked paprika, sultry with cumin, and lively with red pepper flakes and chili powder, we savored every bite.
And with a sunny side up egg nestled alongside, what a delightful way to go green. A perfect breakfast recipe if you’re following the Mediterranean diet plan.
Swiss Chard and Eggs Breakfast Recipe
I hope you give this super healthy greens and eggs recipe a try. If you’re looking for healthy breakfast recipes for weight loss, this one is right up your alley. So healthy. So low-carb. So perfect.
And if you have a favorite Mediterranean breakfast recipe, let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
Looking for more healthy egg breakfast recipes?
Take a look at these:
- Sherried Mushrooms with Fried Eggs on Toast. Totally delicious.
- Baked Eggs with Avocado, Layers of sliced ham, ripe tomatoes and creamy avocados topped with eggs and baked, served piping hot from the oven.
- 5 Easy Omelette Recipes, Omelettes make such an easy quick breakfast, lunch or even dinner. Here you’ll find the classic French technique to make a perfect omelette every time.
- Rio Grande Scrambled Eggs, An easy Southwestern scrambled egg recipe to feed your next hungry breakfast or brunch crowd.
Swiss Chard with preserved lemon, smoked paprika and cumin make a wonderful side for fried eggs.
- 2 bunches chard red stems removed and rough chopped
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 piece preserved lemon chopped
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pinch crushed pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic fine chopped
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
Wash the greens well and pat them dry with paper towels.
Heat the olive oil to medium in a large fry pan. Add the greens and cook stirring frequently. When they start to wilt, add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
Add the cumin and paprika.Cover tightly, and turn down the heat. Let it steep and simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the preserved lemon and parsley. Stir to combine all flavors, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
Plate the greens, drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle with chili powder. Serve alongside a sunny side up egg and some bread.
Swiss Chard with Eggs … It’s what’s for Breakfast