This breakfast sandwich with avocado is right up your chipotle obsessed, Mexican food, breakfast crazed, runny egg lovin’ alley. Rustic toast slathered with chipotle mayo, topped with bacon and avocado and crowned with a poached egg. This egg and avocado sandwich is a great way to start the morning. And it comes together in a jiff. Let’s take a look.
For us, Sunday mornings are reserved for a special breakfast. Something other than Cheerios or a slice of toast.
And I don’t know about you, but I wake up hungry, so that special breakfast gets even more points when it doesn’t take an hour to make.
Enter this easy open faced breakfast egg and avocado sandwich idea.
There are too many star ingredients in this breakfast sandwich to give credit to just one item. Who doesn’t love bacon? Sliced avocado is a superstar. And a poached egg is always a special treat.
But what pushes this breakfast sandwich over the top is a smear of Chipotle Mayonnaise. Just right spicy, creamy and dreamy, it’s simply amazing.
Let’s get started.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- A good old fashioned loaf of rustic style bread.
- Bacon, preferably thick cut
- Chipotle Mayo
Step 1: Before you start to build this egg and avocado sandwich, whip up a batch of chipotle mayo. In a bowl combine 1/2 C. mayonnaise, 1 chopped chipotle pepper, 1 teaspoon of the adobo sauce and a good solid squeeze of lime juice (about 2 teaspoons).
Step 2: Start the process of poaching two eggs. If you need to, refer to my How To Poach An Egg article.
Then build your sandwich.
Step 3: Toast two slices of bread. Spread each slice with some chipotle mayo. Then add two slices of avocado and two slices of bacon per toast.
Step 4: Top the sandwich with a beautiful poached egg and dig in.
What an easy breakfast sandwich with avocado and so DEElicious I may have to have it every Sunday for the rest of my life.
Pro Tip: When frying bacon, low and slow is always best. Place bacon in a non-stick fry pan, and turn the heat to medium low. Let the bacon start to cook and then turn up the heat a bit. Turn the bacon often for even cooking. Some people like to cook bacon in the oven on a sheet pan. I prefer the old fashioned way of frying bacon stovetop. You have more control over getting it cooked evenly.
Rustic bread is a very relative term. When I think of rustic bread, I think of a round loaf rather than a loaf shape like your purchase for sandwich bread. Look for rustic or artisan bread in the bakery section of the grocery store. It has a heavy crust with soft chewy bread inside.
When using sliced avocados for any recipe, you simply don’t want to try and slice an overly ripe mushy avocado. Save those to make guacamole. The avocado should be somewhat firm to the touch with just a slight give when you squeeze it.
- English Muffins: Use toasted English Muffins in place of rustic bread.
- Eggs: Instead of poached egg, top that sandwich with a fried egg. I highly recommend over easy, so you still get that runny yolk experience
- Sprinkle the sandwich with some crumbled Cotija cheese. A Mexican crumbling cheese, it’s beautifully salty with flavor.
- Tomatoes: When fresh tomatoes are in season, add a thin slice.
- Avocado: Have avocados that are “guacamole” ripe? Using a fork, smash the avocado and season with salt and pepper. Use this in place of sliced avocado.
- Eggs: Don’t feel like poaching eggs? Use an over easy fried egg instead.
Recipe for Breakfast Sandwich with Avocado
I hope you enjoy this easy breakfast and combining chipotle mayo with breakfast food.
And if you’re a fan of special breakfast recipes like us, you won’t want to miss my Breakfast Category. You’ll find lots of eye opening recipes and the most popular breakfast recipe on my site for Breakfast Burrito with Green Chile Sauce.
Looking for more Mexican Breakfast Ideas? Take a look at:
If you’ve tried this or any other recipe on my website, please leave a star rating in the recipe card below. And write a review in the comment section. I always appreciate your feedback.
And, don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter for more delicious recipes and cooking tips. Make it a delicious day … every day.
Breakfast Sandwich with Avocado Bacon and Poached Egg
- 2 slices rustic white bread toasted
- 4 slices avocado
- 4 slices bacon cooked, preferably thick cut
- 2 tablespoons chipotle mayonnaise
- 2 eggs poached
- Before you start to build that sandwich, whip up a batch of chipotle mayo. It's easy and only takes a few minutes to make.
- Start the process of poaching two eggs. If you need to, refer to my How To Poach An Egg article.
- Toast two slices of bread. Spread each slice with about a tablespoon of chipotle mayo. Then add two slices of avocado and two slices of bacon per toast.
- Top each sandwich with a beautiful poached egg and dig in.
Breakfast Sandwich with Avocado … It’s What’s for Breakfast
Why Trust These Recipes? Lea Ann Brown has lived, worked and played in Colorado for 45 years. She has immersed herself in the Colorado Culinary space, is a Culinary School Graduate and publishes her Colorado food Blog, Cooking On The Ranch.