Spicy Popcorn Recipe

VICKIE’S KICKED-UP CORN

Don’t you love the smell of fresh popped popcorn? My all time favorite snack food, has been, currently is, and will always be popcorn. What’s yours?

When I was growing up, a couple times a week, Dad would pop corn in his favorite popcorn stove-top skillet. He’d slice an apple and some cheddar cheese and fan them out on a plate, serve up bowls of popcorn and that that would be our evening snack while watching television.

Oh popcorn. How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

How about Vickie’s way. While my Whirley Pop Popcorn Maker was popping it’s usual perfect batch on the stove top, in a small bowl I mixed:

• 1/2 t. cumin
  • 1/2 t. chili powder (any flavor will do)
  • 1/2 t. smoked paprika
  • 1/4 t. cayenne pepper

After the Whirley Pop has done it’s job, transfer popcorn to large bowl, sprinkle with salt, cover with a plate and gently shake.  Add 1 T. melted butter, cover again and gently shake.  Pour in spicy mix from above and cover and shake again.

A delicious and snappy snack…or, grab a glass of wine and have it for dinner?  (Vickie’s suggestion)  :)

Vickie’s Kicked-Up Corn…It’s What’s For Dinner?

Comments

Perfect flavor combination. Popcorn isn’t a favorite of mine, but every now and then my gardener will get on a kick and have popcorn several times a week. He pops it in an old 60′s harvest yellow electric popper. Then he leaves it for me to wash :/

Another reason to love you! Popcorn is my favorite snack also. I actually own two Whirley Pops, one for home and one for the cabin! Of course I like experimenting with it, I like your spicy version. I’ll probably end up having tonight…for dinner ;)

Glad you like this as much as I do. I even added a pinch of Aleppo to my last batch and it worked quite well. :-) What I loved most about this post was learning your ingenious shaking method! I use a wide wooden spoon to stir and my dogs come running because they know I’m going to spill popcorn. (every time) Thanks for the shout out, too. Cheers!

• Lea Ann says

I thought about the Aleppo, but wanted to try your “pure” version first. Well, maybe you should stick to the spoon, don’t want those dogs to miss out. However, I drop enough while eating that mine always get a few kernels.

I don’t know why I’ve never been a big fan of popcorn. Don’t get me wrong, I like it and can eat a lot of them at the movies, but other than that I don’t give it a lot of thought. Maybe I just need the right flavoring and this is it! Spicy is always good :)

• Lea Ann says

And see, I’m just the opposite. Don’t like the movie popcorn. Too salty and too buttery. Guess i’m a popcorn purist.

We love our Whirley Pop too! One year, I gave everyone one for Christmas we love it so much. I also can’t tell you how many Sunday nights we’ve had popcorn for dinner after a weekend of too much eating. We try to go butter-less on those nights :) I’ve been looking for some popcorn recipes where I can reduce the sodium intake and this sounds perfect!

You brought back so many wonderful memories with this post. We use to have popcorn and a treat… my favorite was fudge… on Sunday nights while watching TV! I still like to have something chocolate with popcorn and I love the seasoned popcorn you have made!

I need to try this. Like really need to. I burned some kettle corn recently and have to redeem myself. I can’t burn this!