VICKIE’S SPICY POPCORN RECIPE
When I was growing up, a couple times a week, Dad would pop corn in his favorite popcorn stove-top skillet. He’d slice an apple and some cheddar cheese and fan them out on a plate, serve up bowls of popcorn and that that would be our evening snack while watching television.
Oh popcorn. How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- ½ cup popcorn
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder (any flavor will do)
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1½ tablespoons unsalted butter
- Mix spices in a small bowl.
- Melt butter in microwave, about 30 seconds.
- Over medium high heat on the stovetop, combine canola oil and popcorn in Whirly Pop Pop Corn Maker. Give it a good swirl then wait for the corn to start popping and then start turning the Whirly Pop handle. Lower heat slightly and pop corn until the last kernels are popped.
- Remove from heat and pour into a large popcorn bowl.
- After the Whirley Pop has done it's job, transfer popcorn to large bowl, sprinkle with salt, cover with a dinner plate and gently shake. Add melted butter, cover again and gently shake. Pour in spicy mix from above and cover and shake again.
A delicious and snappy snack…or, grab a glass of wine and have it for dinner? (Vickie’s suggestion)
Vickie’s Spicy Popcorn…It’s What’s For Dinner?