Creamy Great Northern Beans, smoky salty chunks of ham, sweet and spicy corn bread and you’ve got a winning comfort food combination.
Disclaimer: This photo was taken the day after when I reheated this dish as leftovers. Overnight the beans had soaked up a lot of the broth. I realized this while taking the photo. I added more water, reheated for a soupier meal and was too
lazy hungry to retake photos. Long story short, ham and beans should be soupier than this.
First Stephanie over at Plain Chicken made it, then Larry over at Big Dude’s made it…I knew it would be on our table within days. This is definitely a meal that my mom served a lot when I was growing up. It wasn’t something that just appeared after Christmas to use up that holiday ham bone. She made it often, made it year round, and used ham hocks or chopped ham. It wasn’t always accompanied with corn bread, but as with every single meal she served, you can rest assured there was bread on the table. “Eat your bread, you have to support the Wheat Farmers,” she’d order.
When Larry featured his ham and beans, I found it interesting that he put the corn bread directly in the bowl and poured the beans over it. Everyone knows you’re suppose to teeter the bread on the rim of the bowl like Stephanie did. But that darn Larry is so reliable, I had to give it a try. I must say, with your soup spoon filled with a chunk of that sweet bread and a scoop of beans, it’s a wonderful flavor combination. Much better than eating them separately. My ham and beans and my corn bread will never suffer alone again.
Do you bathe or teeter your corn bread?
Here’s how I make my Ham and Beans:
- 1 pound dried Great Northern White Beans, sorted for misfits and rinsed
- In a sauce pan on the stove, cover beans with water and bring to a rolling boil
- Pour into crock pot, add one meaty ham hock and 2 T. of my soup seasoning mix (which is just a blend of herbs)
- Let cook on low all day, checking to see if more water is needed
- Remove ham hock and when it’s cool enough to handle, shred meat and return it to the crock of beans
- Season with salt
For the corn bread:
- Take one box of Jiffy Corn Bread Muffin Mix (No surprise here, I’m not a baker)
- Add 2 finely chopped, seeded and deveined Jalapenos
- 1/4 C. shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 C. shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- Bake according to package directions.
To serve, place one corn muffin in soup bowl, pour ham and beans over the muffin, sprinkle with some finely chopped raw onions and enjoy.
Ham and Beans…It’s what’s for Dinner.
On this day..
- Hatch Green Chile Hummus Dip - 2015