Easy Cream Cheese Cherry Dessert

I hope this post finds everyone basking in the wonderful Holiday Season.  I picture all of you enjoying the postmortem of the season; browsing through new cookbooks, playing with gifted electronics, fiddling with new kitchen gadgets, grazing on leftovers and most importantly, enjoying family. I know one thing for sure, I don’t remember feeling one single hunger pang since  before Thanksgiving.

One of my gifts under the tree this year was a  Cowboy Studio Umbrella Lighting Kit.  What this means is that over the next few months of winter, I no longer have to have dinner prepared by 3:00 in the afternoon in order to get a decent food photo.  The photo above is the first photo I’ve taken using the lights.  It’s my Cherry Dessert. I served it at the Christmas Eve family dinner.  I thought it would be rather rude to usher family members to the table surrounded by umbrella stands with 1200 watt of light staring down at the feast. So in good taste, I staged this the next day.  I’m pleased and look forward to using the lights after dark  in our dimly lit dining room.  Hubs will understand.

Pre-slicing and pre-lighting system

I’ve had this recipe for 100 years.  It’s one of those oldies-but-goodies that probably came off of either a Cool Whip container or a package of Cream Cheese.  It’s really good.

I always like to make a pie for my holiday dinner so I can use my green pie plate with the Santa face cover.  This one’s an easy and delicious dessert year round, let’s take a look.

5.0 from 1 reviews
Cherry Dessert

Prep time
Total time

An easy and delicious dessert any time of year.
Author:
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 8
Ingredients
  • 1 package Honey Maid Graham Cracker Crumbs
  • 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
  • ½ C. pecans, chopped
  • 1 can Wilderness Cherry Pie Filling
  • 1 container Cool Whip
Instructions
  1. Follow instructions on the box of Honey Maid Graham Cracker Crumbs to make a 9" pie crust. Press crust into pie pan and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
  2. Cream together cream cheese and pecans.
  3. Spread a layer of Cool Whip on chilled and firm pie crust. Top with the cream cheese and pecan mixture. Next spread on the Wilderness Cherry Pie Filling. I didn't quite use the whole can. Top with a nice thick layer of cool whip. Sprinkle top with unprepared graham cracker crumbs from the box.
  4. Chill overnight.

Easy Cherry Dessert…It’s what’s for ah…er… Dessert.

One Year Ago:  Crock Pot Cowboy Pinto Beans
Two Years Ago:  Sopa Caldosa

Comments

Ivve had this or a similar dessert and really like it. Your shots look very good – maybe that’s what I need – I’m going to look into it.

• Lea Ann says

Yup, that recipe is an oldie but goodie. I’m sure it made it’s rounds through the kitchens of America. Only the top photo is taken with the new lights, the bottom two are in daylight and the day before. Bob spent around $125.00. When I click on that website, I don’t see the exact set I have. Let me know if you want me to get you exact information.

Very cool gift! My grandma makes this for Christmas EVERY SINGLE YEAR. Ever since I can remember. My grandpa and my mom will complain if she doesn’t…however, hers is always in a 9×13 pan. I like the look of it circular. :) Hope you had a great Christmas :D

• Lea Ann says

The original recipe calls for double of what I’ve listed here and to be made in a 9 x 13 pan. I opt for a smaller amount for a pie plate. That way there’s not so much leftovers and my Holiday calorie count isn’t so out of this world. I love the stuff and can eat … eat… eat it.

Just about the time you thought you knew what you were doing, new lighting comes along. I am now struggling with learning to use mine too, but it will pay off in the end. You photo looks great and so does your recipe. I can’t wait to try it. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours!

• Lea Ann says

I’ve used them twice now and I agree, it’s somewhat of a struggle. You’ve had yours longer, you’ll have to teach me. :)

That’s what I call a terrific gift! I could surely use a lighting kit. I’ll have to put it on my birthday wish list. In the meantime, my husband’s birthday is next week, and your dessert is his all time favorite treat. I’ll be making this for him, but my pictures won’t be nearly as good. :)

Have a wonderful New Year!

This is one of the very first desserts I made :) It still looks delicious! I bought myself a couple of umbrella lights before Christmas but haven’t had time to play with them yet.

Gots to love the lighting system! It’s amazing how many folks don’t realize that light is 90% of a picture. (Well, technically, it’s 100%.) Anyways, cheers and happy 2012!

• Lea Ann says

I agree Steve. They’re not that easy to learn how to use. Will take practice. One little move of the tri-pod changes mood, color, etc.

Well now you’ve done it . . . you’ll have the best photos out there, and you were already setting the bar pretty high! :-)
    Seriously, the lighting assist is the only way I got through my winter blogging last year. Mine is only a homemade job that Dana and I put together, but does it ever make a difference when it gets dark at 4:30!
    Back to that delicious looking pie! Great recipe – I love those holiday goodies. And that adorable pie plate is the perfect pallatte. And that first photo? I could go on and on. Love, love, love that red rimmed plate and the reflection of the pie in the shiny fork. Gorgeous!

• Lea Ann says

Well goodness, best photos out there? I don’t think so, but thanks for the compliment. I didn’t even notice the reflection until you said something! Thanks for pointing that out. I love that pie plate. As always, something that I drug home from my mom’s years ago. :)

I guess I must have been living under a rock because I have never had your dessert before. I’ll have to remedy that soon. What a wonderful gift…you can really see a difference in the photos. All of my photos are done at night and it is a real challenge to get a nice photo. By the time you think you might have a good shot, the food is cold.

• Lea Ann says

Well maybe you just weren’t tuned into “Cool Whip”. Could have something to do with it. I grew up thinking that’s what whipped cream was. It wasn’t until my 20′s that I actually learned that you could actually whip cream to make the real stuff. :)

I have a similar set from Cowboy studios.. it will change your life, lol!! Sometimes I shoot my food pics at 3am, no noise.. no kids, lol! I love this cherry treat my big sis makes it for Vday and I coull pretty much eat the ENTIRE pan, lol!! Happy holidays!

• Lea Ann says

Right, I can tell it’s going to change my life…especially until I learn how to use them. Good grief, I thought this was going to be easy. :)

Mmm I love how simple this is, yet you know that with these ingredients it’s going to come together into a delicious dessert! The photos are looking good!

I love a good set of lights. I have a set of 3 with translucent umbrellas but only use one of them for food photos. Now you get to play around with the best angles for your light. My standard is me shooting at 6 o’clock, the light at 10 o’clock and a white reflecting board at 4 o’clock.

1200 watts? Holy SMOKES you have a system, you aren’t messing around. Mine just uses 29 watt CFL bulbs.

• Lea Ann says

Thanks for the positioning Chris, I’ll try the 6-10-4 Theory. I don’t know why it’s billed as 1200 watts. I’ve for four different bulbs that are around 80 each. Hopefully I can play around this weekend.