Braised Chicken with Lemon and Potatoes and Olives

We love braised chicken dishes at our house and with my cast iron skillet as my partner, I can’t go wrong. It perfectly and quickly places a crispy brown crust on the chicken skin.Then it’s high sides snuggle ingredients and sauces together to simmer the flavors into a delicious savory goodness.  This braised chicken with lemon and potatoes fell right into this category.

Let’s take a look at some of the braised chicken dishes I’ve blogged about:

Chicken Marengo:  Flavored with raisins, carrots, tomatoes, black olives in a sweet tangy basil and rosemary sauce. Exciting.

Tarragon Chicken: Simply a tarragon tomato sauce.  Savory.

Sticky Lips Chicken: White wine, scallions in a veal demi glace. Omg.

And Chicken Galliano:  Mushrooms and goat cheese and simmered in a anise flavored liqueur.  Divine.

Thanks to Martha for our latest braised chicken dinner. The chicken soaks up and delivers soft lemony goodness. Accompanied with a bite of briny olives, smooth potato cubes, and topped with fresh sprigs of thyme, it’s a delicious one-skillet meal.

Martha Stewart’s Braised Chicken with Lemon, Potatoes and Olives:

• 2 1/4 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
  • Coarse salt
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 1/4 cups chicken stock
  • 12 ounces baby fingerling potatoes or halved small potatoes
  • 5 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
  • 1/2 cup green olives, such as Cerignola, pitted if desired
  • 1 small lemon, washed well, cut into wedges
  • 6 thyme sprigs
  • 1 teaspoon cornstarch
  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Season chicken with salt. Heat a large, heavy ovenproof skillet (preferably cast iron) over medium-high heat. Swirl in oil. Cook chicken, skin side down, until browned, about 5 minutes. Flip chicken, and push to side of skillet. Add 1 cup stock and  1/2 teaspoon salt. Add potatoes to liquid. Bring to a boil. Add garlic, olives, lemon wedges, and thyme to liquid. Return to a boil.
  2. Transfer skillet to oven. Roast, stirring potatoes halfway through, until potatoes are tender and chicken is cooked through, about 30 minutes.
  3. Return skillet to stove. Mix cornstarch with remaining  1/4 cup stock, and stir into pan. Bring to a boil to thicken sauce. Serve immediately.

Braised Chicken with Lemon and Potatoes and Olives…It’s What’s For Dinner.

Comments

We’ve had two citrusy chicken dishes this week and this is another I know I’d love – especially with the olives. We enjoyed the chicken galliano some time back – still waiting for you to post some more recipes to help us use up the galliano :-).

the salty tangy combination of the lemon and olives sounds like heaven to me! I’d definitely be drinking whatever sauce there was out of the pan.

This looks really delicious Lea Ann. We too love chicken around here. The addition of lemon and olives just sounds great. My friend Karen in the UK turned me on to a Jamie Oliver recipe for Sticky Chicken Thighs with Tomatoes and Potatoes that we are addicted to. I may just have to change things up for my family and give this one try.

This reminds me of an Algerian dish I ate once in Paris and loved; it used preserved lemons and green olives. This one is a lot easier to make and I am sure delicious as well!

I’m getting ready to make another skillet chicken recipe that was passed along from a friend after she read my post. It actually sounds even better. It’s a Jamie Oliver recipe….so stay tuned. :)

There are certain things that HAVE to be made in a cast iron skillet. I have several sizes and adore them. Great combo in your chicken dish; I don’t think anything’s better with chicken than lemon.

You know we love chicken and this looks fantastic! We would have to omit the olives, but other than that, this is perfect!

We are roasting a whole chicken tonight – using the brine and rub from The Ritz Carlton cooking school I went to a few weeks ago.

I loved those posts from that Ritz Carlton cooking school. All of the food looked fabulous. So sorry you’d have to omit the olives for this recipe… however that lemon chicken and potatoes are delicious.

I was so sad the first time I tried chicken with lemon. Sad because I didn’t realize what I’d been missing for so long! Martha comes up with a good recipe every now and again, doesn’t she? ;)

We’re dining out with friends tonight and if this were on the menu, I’d order it! It sounds so delicious – I can’t wait to try it soon.

Lea Ann, as you said, this is very similar to the chicken with lemon and olives that I have recently fallen in love with. I’ll have to try your potatoes in it. Funny that I paired mine with potatoes as a side dish. I found my recipe in one of my favorite new cookbooks “The Lazy Gourmet.” I’m going to link to yours so my readers can see another version.